This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Forcing users to ident to the bot

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
L
LoKii
Voice

Forcing users to ident to the bot

Post by LoKii »

Hello everyone,

got a question, but i dont even know if its the right approach.

I have my bot on an Unrealircd, where people can get any ident@vhost they they want.

Is there a way to set the eggdrop to only recognize users after they have /msg bot ident instead of just the nick!ident@host.name?

Also an issue is that many of the users have a dynamic IP, so there is always a chance that someone else might get the same hostname even if they dont use any form of vhost?

Or maybe a better solution would be if the bot would only remember a host for a limited period of time, say like 1 - 2 days, so if later a user joins, he would have to ident to the bot to be recognized?

I'm not looking for a TCL script for this, i just want to know if there is some sort of solution using a vanilla eggdrop.

Cheers.
Madalin
Master

Post by Madalin »

The best way for what you have its an authentification script. The best solution for you is a&a script you can get it from wget wget.ascript.name if you have problems you can ask me and i will help you. It has alot of commands and its the best way for you
L
LoKii
Voice

Post by LoKii »

I already have that one from the a&a site, and it looks very promising for another project that I am interested in. But just to clarify the qustion above, if there is a vanilla solution, or only via an external script?

Just on a side note here, as you have also seen i have asked a couple of things in the script-help section. My goal is not to get a ready solution, but rather to create my own scripts. I am more interested in learning how to do these things on my own rather than just take ready scripts.

Thank you very much though for your help ;)
Madalin
Master

Post by Madalin »

You will learn to script if you look in other scripts. Its easier that way to learn. See how things work in other scripts.

And no i don`t know any simple way for what you want. The best way is an authetification script.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

LoKii wrote: ...
My goal is not to get a ready solution, but rather to create my own scripts. I am more interested in learning how to do these things on my own rather than just take ready scripts.
Do this little course, beginning to end. It helps one to get started.
http://suninet.the-demon.de/

Bookmark these - you need them:
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/TclCmd/contents.htm

http://www.eggheads.org/support/egghtml ... mands.html

Also:
http://www.peterre.info/characters.html

I hope this helps.
L
LoKii
Voice

Post by LoKii »

@ Madalin : Yes, ofc you are right about looking at other scripts :)

Since you didnt know about a vanilla way for what i want, i actually went ahead and set up the a&a on a test egg on my local test server. It is indeed an impressive script. And when it comes to the authentication, it is exaclty what i was looking for. I am still trying to get the hang of the a&a as it is really huge. I guess that studying that code will help me on my own little project. Thank you for your help :)

@ willyw : Yeah, i have already gone through the links that you have pasted some time ago, and I use them on a daily basis. Thanks for your input though :)

I will keep you all posted when i have something of my own to show for ;)

Cheers.