This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Bad Shells

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
I
IMLooped

Bad Shells

Post by IMLooped »

FYI:
tried using shell provider www.Ispeeds.net this last week.
It took 3 days to get an email on account setup,

After which I tried to upload a conf file it average 8k of the 53k size before the server timeout. I tried to get help but again took days to get a response from the same person no matter which aemail address I sent to.

the speed of uplaods averaged 0.45k/sec Mind you I am on a t1 at work with 2% utilization as monitored by MRTG , I also tried from a remote office which has a 3mb trunk 2 bondedc t1's same results

I believe someone is lying about there connections and or utilization beware of this provider.

any recommendations on good shells please let me know
Clipped
Halfop

Post by Clipped »

lomag or risingnet both are very good..

shellhostingco.com seems to have dropped from the face of the earth..heh

ANyone else use the above?
Yourname
Master

Post by Yourname »

If I remember correctly, ispeeds.net is one of the companies which an old and awesome shell provider had bought, and changed its name to dslglobal.net.

Since ghosteb.net's transition of ownership and reincarnation as dslglobal.net, the company has hugely gone down with respect to quality, customer service and every other quality that keeps a shell company in the top position.

Ispeeds.net, if I'm right, was one of those shell providers that dslglobal.net had bought to expand its company, and AFAIK, every company it had instated, went down.
Dormant egghead.
b
bean

Post by bean »

Clipped wrote:lomag or risingnet both are very good..

shellhostingco.com seems to have dropped from the face of the earth..heh

ANyone else use the above?
I've been using lomag for both webhosting and shells for over a year now... they're a little pricy, but worth it.
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

i can recommend shellaxis. Their "fear" server has excellent uptime (been up 156 days 'n counting), shells are inexpensive, and customer service kicks ass :lol:
}
}eXtreme{
Voice

Post by }eXtreme{ »

Hmmm.. shellaxis...: "Sorry no Western Union or other wire transfers accepted"
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

paypal is universal, you can even write a check :mrgreen:
kazoo
Halfop

Post by kazoo »

haha, i bet that one shell priver was on like a dsl lite connection, hahaha

That reminds me of ibiblio on sourceforge, i get a 13kbps d/l from there
:[
S
Spaz
Voice

I have good luck with Hardlink.com

Post by Spaz »

I have a shell account with Hardlink. I do not think that they have the fastest servers, but they do seem reliable. One of their main shell servers was up for almost 975 days before they rebooted it. Their support seems to be ok, but you do have to know how to compile and configure your bot. I thinkt that they take CC and checks.

On the whole, B+. Been around for years.
awyeah
Revered One

Post by awyeah »

Lomag is good I agree.

Though people say... keeping greater uptimes just for showing off, that's what Lomag does, with some of its boxes exceeding 200-300 days in uptime.

Well to be honest, it doesn't matter to me I agree patches of OS come in each year and should be upgraded, but what the hell, thats not our problem, it's our admin's if he choses todo it or not. System's may become vulenurable but and so if a major patch in OS is needed it should be installed and rebooted.

We just want a stable service that's all what we know, and lomag has been giving that for years.

As for support, I mail mark personally and he gives me replies instantly the following days if a bit delayed and also have him on msn, he always replies and helps me out when I need todo so quickly and fast.

He's a helping and very decent guy. My processes were eating extra quota, as I knew him from a particular IRC server staff long ago and have good relations he allocated me extra quota usage space as well free of charge.

Eventhough being a busy guy, handling 7-8boxes and alot of customers, if he is able to do this, then I guess, he has lomag running good and well.
·­awyeah·

==================================
Facebook: jawad@idsia.ch (Jay Dee)
PS: Guys, I don't accept script helps or requests personally anymore.
E
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I've been with Ispeeds for a while now, and have not had 1 single problem with them. Reliable machines. I'm on their Atrivo machine box.ispeeds.net (Atrivo is Broadwing / nLayer / Williams Communications). omega.data-stream.org is a rather unstable box. If you get a shell request to be on box.ispeeds.net, it's much stabler.

I'm currently using IRCd package #1, and they have not been down 2 times. Just 1 time which was Atrivo being down, but that is the only time. I'd highly recommend them.

- Eddie
i
imamDIN

Jeah

Post by imamDIN »

Hows Jeah.net?
awyeah
Revered One

Post by awyeah »

Jeah's not bad, but then again they only have 1 box in all. So if its down its down. Like recently they have had problems sometimes I couldn't get their website open seems as if they get dossed alot. :roll:
·­awyeah·

Facebook: jawad@idsia.ch (Jay Dee)
PS: Guys, I don't accept script helps or requests personally anymore.
Alba
Voice

Post by Alba »

Another for ur little list

http://www.smartshells.net

Took over a week for the account to be set up, and even then its been slow.

and to top it off after a small alteration, I fired up the bot again, and the server said there was "too many connections from my host"

talk about usless
Regards,

- = /\ L B /\ = -