This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC Chat outgoing port - not possible to specify ?

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
D
DirtyHarry
Voice

DCC Chat outgoing port - not possible to specify ?

Post by DirtyHarry »

Hi,

I have setup my eggdrop on a unix redhat 9 machine with APF firewall. My firewall blocks incoming and outgoing ports. I have setup everything correctly in the config file of the bot, but apparently it is not possible for the bot to establish a DCC chat connection without blocking the outgoing ports scanning of the firewall.

I have specified the reserved portrange, opened the ports in the firewall, but this didn't help, as I suppose the reserved portrange is only for file transfers.

So, isn't there a way to specify a limited amount of outgoing ports the bot uses to connect to the user? I can't turn outgoing ports blocking off in the firewall. I have been asking this question in all eggdrop help channels on IRC, and nobody seemed able to help.

Thank you!
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

set this in your config to a port to listen on and allow it to pass through your firewall

Code: Select all

# You need to un-comment this line and change the port number in order to open
# the listen port. You should not keep this set to 3333.
listen 3333 all
this should allow you to /dcc chat <botnick> or /ctcp <botnick> chat depending on how stuborn your firewall is ;)
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
D
DirtyHarry
Voice

Post by DirtyHarry »

Sadly I already tried! It doesn't seem to help with DCC chat, at least not in output.
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

did you try my last suggestion using

Code: Select all

/ctcp botnick chat
because that will be an incoming connection rather than an outgoing?
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

If you want to change the outgoing port, you must make the bot to connect to one that is reserved.
in exp., if the bot may make a conntion to 21000-21020 then set your mIRC dcc port ranges to these values, so you client will give your bot a port from this range when doing a /dcc chat :). As DooM said, another work around would be to use the ctcp command, so the connection initiation is done from your irc client using one of the in .conf reserved dcc ports.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...