This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop DCC

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
T
Torob
Voice

Eggdrop DCC

Post by Torob »

hey i have eggdrop the uhh, grr forgot the version, the second last i believe, 17 .... or 7 or w/e
now i setup the whole thing, config, installed
and my bot goes online right, and i've told it im master
yet when i dcc it,
/ctcp Bot chat
the window comes up,
but in the part where its soppose to ask for login name , there is nothing, its all grey and it sits grey, doesnt tell me anything, and when i type, i cant type to it, cuz the enter doenst work for it
so basicly it just sits there, and does nothing.....
any idea why this is happenin?g?
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

You did not follow the instructions when the bot was first started on the shell.

Try:

Code: Select all

/msg botnick pass <yourpassword>
.. and then try /dcc chat botnick.

You apparently downloaded an eggdrop tarball, compiled eggdrop, started it and do not know what version? How is that possible considering the tarball naming contains the version number?

There's a new release [1.6.18]; might be prudent to upgrade.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
T
Torob
Voice

Post by Torob »

Well you see, the shell i got, had a bulitin eggdrop, so i just had to put command in, and it automatically installed it,
when i put the command to install, i followed every step it said, at first it installed,
then said i need to edit config file, i did that,
then it told me to put a command to start the bot,
i did, i set pass for the bot and all.....
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Search | FAQ | RTM
T
Torob
Voice

Post by Torob »

i did, things told, and its is not working! any other ideas?
rosc2112
Revered One

Post by rosc2112 »

I'd install my own copy, from sourcecode. Not to be cynical (well, maybe just a little) but I wouldn't trust it unless it was from the official src from eggheads.org
krimson
Halfop

Post by krimson »

that's the prefered way to go with, but some hosts don't allow compiler access, hence you can't install from source
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

krimson wrote:that's the prefered way to go with, but some hosts don't allow compiler access, hence you can't install from source
Then I'd be making other arrangements for a new shell. One really needs to get all the details before committing to a shell account. :)
Search | FAQ | RTM
T
Torob
Voice

Post by Torob »

i reinstalled the bot, again from the builtin shell,
the shell is provided by my friends and others are using it, so its fine
but i think im doing something wrong in the config file, and thats y it wont write anything to me when i dcc it
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

I'd never advise anyone to use those built-in eggdrops for the one reason that there is no control over the process and most admins that set these up haven't a clue; the confs for a start are lacking in a number of settings.

Download a full eggdrop.conf and read carefully this link: Setting up an Eggdrop
Search | FAQ | RTM
PrimeSid
Voice

Lots of things to check

Post by PrimeSid »

Hope I havn't forgot something.

[01] The first thing to know about DCC is that when you initiate a DCC with someone, what really happens is that you send them your ip and a port to connect to. In reality, it's them connecting to you, not the other way around.

[02] If you can't DCC chat to your bot.

[03] Make sure you have a proper 'my-ip' setting in your config. Users behind NAT/firewall should set 'nat-ip' instead.

[04] If you have a firewall, make sure the ports you have set in your config are open.

[05] Try to telnet to your bot from the shell it runs on.

[06] To chat with your bot, enter the 'partyline' '/ctcp bot chat' or 'telnet bot-ip port'

[07] Common problems related to the partyline:

[08] Your hostmask/IP have changed, update your hostmask with the ident command.

[09] Your bots IP have changed and you need to update the my-ip setting in the bots config.

[10] Your user doesnt have access to the partyline '.chattr user +p'

[11] Your bot is behind a firewall/router (NAT), you need to set a 'nat-ip' and make sure the port your eggdrop runs on is open.

[12] If nothing else work, telnet to your bot from the shell it runs on and connect to the internal IP 'telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port'

[13] If using mIRC: Go to File->Options->Local Info and make sure Local Host and Normal are checked.
Perceptioins! Hard to explain or understand.
T
Torob
Voice

Post by Torob »

I believe i have tried all that is said,
i even tried installing it manually from the .gz i downloaded from eggdrop site...
still same problem, i see no difference,
im pretty sure it is a setting in the config file that is not letting the bot talk to me basicly, yet i donno wat that is....
could you guys think of anything in the config file that will stop the bot to talk to me while dcc?
because its not even asking for login and pass, just sits there....