This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Problem with eggdrop on shell command line

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
t
trashmasterfx
Voice

Problem with eggdrop on shell command line

Post by trashmasterfx »

hi

does somebody know what this line meens : syntax error near unexpected token `newline' . this is shown when i try to start the bot on my shell with the command : ./eggdrop -m <trashbot.conf> .

what can i do to get the bot working

greatz
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

I'd suggest you remove the <>, as these are interpreted as io-redirectors by most shells...
Proper command-line would be:

Code: Select all

./eggdrop -m trashbot.conf
Edit: Using these and similar characters are generally NOT advisable, as their use generally results in issues like these. If you've named your file with them, I would strongly advise you to rename the file to not include them.
Last edited by nml375 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NML_375
krimson
Halfop

Post by krimson »

or use backslash to escape the special char

./eggdrop -m \<trashbot.conf\>
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

krimson wrote:or use backslash to escape the special char

./eggdrop -m \<trashbot.conf\>
What the? You do not need to do that; and who would?

The user simply misinterpreted the instructions and did not realise the <>'s were to be replaced.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
t
trashmasterfx
Voice

Post by trashmasterfx »

ah okay

i thought that a should put the conffile name in <> because ist was writen in the instroctions^^

greatz
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Thought so :)

A common practise is to indicate mandatory parameters by surrounding them with <>, optional parameters with [], and anything that's supposed to be written "as-is" without any characters around them.
This syntax is used in the documentation of eggdrop's extended tcl-commands (doc/tcl-commands.doc).

Side-note: Of course, these characters can be valid in a command-line (if say, pipe-redirections are desired). Generally, the documentation would make it somewhat obvious such is the case (tho there's always examples where this is not true aswell)
NML_375