Trivia_2000

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
c
chubbychub
Voice

Trivia_2000

Post by chubbychub »

i have trivia_2000 running fine, but after 2 days of running the trivia, the questions are starting to repeat since is s small database of questions. I have looked into other .txt files (in other trivias) to add more questions.
this is the format for trivia_2000 --> question:answer

example
virgin:What is the zodiacal symbol for Virgo ?

can anyone send me a link where i can get a bigger database of questions plz? thanks in advance
krimson
Halfop

Post by krimson »

chubbychub wrote:this is the format for trivia_2000 --> question:answer

example
virgin:What is the zodiacal symbol for Virgo ?
is is question:answer or answer:question?
c
chubbychub
Voice

Post by chubbychub »

sorry.. you are right is "answer:question"
krimson
Halfop

Post by krimson »

you could try using one of the databases of these scripts: http://www.egghelp.org/tclhtml/3478-4-0-0-1-trivia.htm. if you can't find anything that matches your script's specific q&a format, you can always edit a database and make it compatible
c
chubbychub
Voice

Post by chubbychub »

i look into the tcl archives already, but none of them are in the same format.. and editing.. well.. is too much to edit..is over 20,000 trivia questions.. so i thought someone might have one out there already ..
trivia_2000v2.2.tcl <-----this is what i am using
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

If you or anyone else for that matter do manage to put together question databases for the script, feel free to send them to me and I'll include them in future releases. :D

I had to type those original ones out by hand and after 1500 odd questions it got a bit tedious. :D
"Insanity Takes Its Toll, Please Have Exact Change"
c
chubbychub
Voice

Post by chubbychub »

how about sending me those 1500 questions? that way i will only have 18,500 to edit!!!
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

chubbychub wrote:how about sending me those 1500 questions? that way i will only have 18,500 to edit!!!
Almost all the questions I typed out are already included in the seven categories supplied with the script and the current files I have here in my build area are broken down as below. It's actually more than I originally said. I do have about the same amount again waiting to be typed out, but its a slow and tedious job and I dont have the spare time to do it right now.

Art & Literature - 345 Questions
Entertainment - 187 Questions
Geography - 665 Questions
History - 282 Questions
Queen - 450 Questions
Science & Nature - 648 Questions
Sport & Leisure - 215 Questions

Total: 2792 Questions in the databases supplied.

One day I'll write a script that will allow different databases to be translated for Trivia 2000 use or re-read into the existing databases. It's actually one of the things on my project todo list for Trivia 2000 amongst several other things but time is the big issue I'm afraid.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

There is an option for users to add question & answers for a trigger in the channel (as per moxquiz)? Having users contribute might also speed up database expansion. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Alchera wrote:There is an option for users to add question & answers for a trigger in the channel (as per moxquiz)? Having users contribute might also speed up database expansion. :)
I did consider it to be honest and it's still on my list of possible things to add.

The major downside to that sort of system (and I've seen it happen) is the abuse and inaccuracy of any saved questions. It does make considerably more work for the average bot owner having to check through them, confirm the accuracy and them accept them into the database. I think Trivia 2000 will probably steer away from that sort of thing if I'm honest, but I havent completley dispelled the possibility yet.

I started work on version 2.3 last night, first time I've touched the script since the release of 2.2 already crossed a couple of things off my "todo" list so hopefully the next release should add a few more things in functionality wise. I'm also beginning to sketch out the next major change to the script in my mind for a version 3 release which will hopefully have dynamic addition and removal of question categories, maybe the long promised team game and quick fire versions we'll see and some other bits. But I have several things I want to do with version 2.x before moving on to development of that.

Not that anyone will see any differences from the use of the script at the moment as there are no external changes as yet but if anyone ever wants to play with the development build of Trivia 2000 as it is at any stage or if anyone wants to see it running and try it out without having to install it, it's always running on my test server at irc.highlandfox.com:23403 in #Trivia on a bot called Mcleod (my main test bot for this script). If the room is set to opers only and you cant get in, it means I'm in there working on the script, try again later. :wink: