This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

encypted eggdrop chat, looking for contributors

Website and forum-related announcements and discussion, and anything else that doesn't fit in the above forums.
sKy
Op

encypted eggdrop chat, looking for contributors

Post by sKy »

This is not a request for a hole premade script. I write in tcl myself. I like to try out to develop in a team, to split tasks.

I could also need...
- Someone who wants to create a graphical gui for the encrypted eggdrop chat program. Preferred written in an portable language such as tk or C++ so we can supply the main desktop computer platforms such as windows/linux/bsd. The gui shall be able to be minimized to tray. Maybe tabs for multiple eggdrop chats.
- Coders who are interested in my project.
- Maybe testers later.
- And maybe people with web development skills later.

As soon we reach beta stage we might think about hosting this program on a website such as sf.net.

If you are serious about contribution please post here or pm me.
socketapi | Code less, create more.
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

You might first want to do a study about the project. State the problem, activity statement, existing solutions (if any), why is it needed. Creating a client isn't really needed IMO since it can be supported by all IRC clients out there (which is more user-friendly).
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

Thanks for your comment.
Sir_Fz wrote:state the problem
Normal dcc chats with eggdrop are not encrypted. On irc you just /dcc chat nickname or /ctcp botname chat, could be also a nickstealer. To use /whois works but it`s not the most comfortable solution. The initial request is send over irc server and the following dcc chat is a 'direct connection'. But direct doesn`t mean that there are no other computers between you and the target, that connection is in plaintext.
Sir_Fz wrote:activity statement
No strict rules as it is a hobby project. If you think you have time it`s ok.
Sir_Fz wrote:existing solutions
As far I know there is currently no client to eggdrop encrypted chat possible.
Sir_Fz wrote:why is it needed.
You gain more control about your data, more privacy. A third party could log the encrypted stream but don`t know what you are sending. You couldn`t dcc chat a bot`s nickstealer and give him your password because you type to fast.
Sir_Fz wrote:Creating a client isn't really needed IMO since it can be supported by all IRC clients out there (which is more user-friendly).
Dunno how helpful others would find a new tray icon with the eggdrops console. Sure this could be implemented into mainline clients such as mirc or xchat.

Xchat tcl sockets seam to be bugged and I don`t know mirc scripting (imho not much point to learn a script language just for an irc client). If someone would like to contribute an interface for that clients please let me know.

EDIT:
I attach an alpha version.
http://rapidshare.com/files/41041093/ee_chat.7z
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

What I meant about the interface being through any irc client is that the chat window automatically opens in any client so why create a new separate interface for that? And what about the solution provided in the modules forum (DCC-SSL) I didn't really get why it's still insecure.

I can help with an interface using Java (it is a portable language) but I'm afraid that my time is very limited because I'll be working on my senior project.

Please attach your file on some other less trafficed website so I can actually download it without having to wait for hours :P
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

What I meant about the interface being through any irc client is that the chat window automatically opens in any client so why create a new separate interface for that?
I like this idea as well but it`s not easy to do that for me. I don`t want to learn mirc scripting. To investigate into C++ Gui development or maybe a bit tk has more point.

Another point is also that there are many different irc clients. It`s harder to maintain all of them instant of a new interface.

So again, speaking to anyone. If your favorite client is $client and you want to implement the encrypted eggdrop chat function then tell me.
And what about the solution provided in the modules forum (DCC-SSL) I didn't really get why it's still insecure.
I think you mean this. I don`t say it`s insecure. It`s just eggdrop --> encrypted --> psybnc --> unencrypted --> client. Imho not much point, better is eggdrop --> client and end to end encryption.

I would also include an open source C++ module into my tcl source if it`s portable. But I use already aes for tcl and I think this is fine. You will see that inside the source.
Please attach your file on some other less trafficed website so I can actually download it without having to wait for hours :P
Seams you have a shared ip. Nvm. I added a mirror. http://uploaded.de/?id=6qtomk
n
naaina
Voice

Post by naaina »

Hi,

psyBNC is capable of handling incoming SSL-encrypted connections from the client:

Code: Select all

PSYBNC.SYSTEM.HOST1=S=a.b.c.d
Like this in psybnc.conf. Now you can connect to it (from mIRC in this case) by doing:

Code: Select all

/server a.b.c.d:+port
And now the client->bouncer encryption is also SSL-encrypted :)

Still there is another problem: If eggdrops are linked, the communication channel could be encrypted too. But this can only be changed in the eggdrop source for sure.

Greetings!
B
BoaR
Halfop

Post by BoaR »

what if one doesnt has a bouncer ?

can i connect directly to the bot with stunnel to the partyline ?
n
naaina
Voice

Post by naaina »

It depends on the client. If the client supports DCC-SSL-connections, then for sure (but afaik mIRC doesn't).
B
BoaR
Halfop

Post by BoaR »

i use Xchat, i'm not sure if it supports DCC-SSL-connections, it supports SSL connections to the irc server though.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

BoaR wrote:i use Xchat, i'm not sure if it supports DCC-SSL-connections, it supports SSL connections to the irc server though.
Searchin/Posting to the X-Chat forum should be of assistance.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

naaina wrote:psyBNC is capable of handling incoming SSL-encrypted connections from the client:
Dunno exactly who you mean. But psybnc <-> eggdrop would still chat unencryped in that case, because eggdrop has still no support for encryption.

Or you would run the bot on a psybnc? This is imho a very bad idea. That`s really bugged.
Still there is another problem: If eggdrops are linked, the communication channel could be encrypted too. But this can only be changed in the eggdrop source for sure.
You don`t need to change the source. You just need to encrypt the message you send over the unencrypted channel and you need to implement some kind of authentication.
B
BoaR
Halfop

Post by BoaR »

you need root to run stunnel, unless you remove the chroot line. newbie like new took some time to figure this out.
bah.
Last edited by BoaR on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

Kinda off topic in this thread. ;) Please make your own for this problem.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

sKy wrote:Kinda off topic in this thread. ;) Please make your own for this problem.
Actually not an eggdrop related problem and better posted @ bsdforums.org.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM