This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Have no idea what's going on

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
g
grindking
Voice

Have no idea what's going on

Post by grindking »

I have been using eggdrops for years. I see the sercurity update today for 1.6.19 ctcp patch so i decide to download it and update. Now the bot won't connect irc at all. It makes absolutely NO sense because NO errors are printed to the error log with absolutely EVERY argument that I've added to the log setting.

But I can run it './eggdrop -n config.conf' file all day long and the bot will connect fine to irc.

Without any printouts for the error I have *NO* way to debug this software.

I will be forced to go back to the older vulnerable version if this newer update does NOT WORK.

Has anyone else had this problem at all, any feedback is much appreciated.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Did I get you right, if you add the -n parameter, it works just fine, if you don't, it freezes?

If that's the case, then you've got problems with threaded tcl8.5 not being properly detected as such. You'll find several threads regarding this all over the forum, search for threaded tcl, and you'll most likely find some of them.

Short fix, define the TCL_HAVE_THREADS macro in your config.h file after running configure.
NML_375
g
grindking
Voice

Post by grindking »

nml375 wrote:Did I get you right, if you add the -n parameter, it works just fine, if you don't, it freezes?

If that's the case, then you've got problems with threaded tcl8.5 not being properly detected as such. You'll find several threads regarding this all over the forum, search for threaded tcl, and you'll most likely find some of them.

Short fix, define the TCL_HAVE_THREADS macro in your config.h file after running configure.

sorry if i was a little vague, basically i get no output to ANY log files if i run without the -n option and the bot also does not connect to irc nor show anything. with the -n option it all works fine.

it still shows all my scripts being loaded etc without the -n, just never 'does anything' if that makes sense and with no logs it's hard. ... i *did* initially see a libtcl8.4.so error but i thought i had that fixed in the previous version before update. i will check those again.

ahhh, this must be what it is, as i am running ubuntu as well and see the other posts, so thank you for the pointer :D i guess i should have searched for eggdrop -n or something i just had to go on a service call and figured this would be best while i'm away from the computer :D

thanks again.
Last edited by grindking on Fri May 15, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Well, the threaded-tcl issue will not freeze your eggdrop until it tries to fork into background, so the "loading scripts" logs is normal with this bug.

Simply put, what happens is that once it tries to fork into background, it will become completely unresponsive (not accept telnet connections, not connecting to any server, or anything else either).
NML_375
g
grindking
Voice

Post by grindking »

i knew i should have used standard debian! ha, dunno if that would have mattered, but i converted this ubuntu 8.10 to a server a few months back out of laziness :D
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Well, the lazy-fix is to manually edit config.h and make sure HAVE_TCL_THREADS is defined to 1, and recompile. You'll most likely find a comment saying #undef HAVE_TCL_THREADS, "just remove the comment and define it" :p

There's been talk 'bout an updated configure-script to properly detect threaded libs with tcl8.5, but I have no clue as to whether it's been implemented yet.
NML_375
g
grindking
Voice

Post by grindking »

thanks again for the help, that did it :D
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

You're welcome,
enjoy!