This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC problems

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
G
GeoMan59
Voice

DCC problems

Post by GeoMan59 »

I am going to try to give as much information as possible.
Here is my current set up:
Me-->Mandrake 8.2 Machine(/with the bot)-->internet
my internal ip for my linux box is for example sake 100.100.100.100
my internal ip for my computer is for example sake 100.100.100.101
my external ip for my computer is for example sake 500.500.500.500(yes i am aware that ip does not exist)
I am using mIRC 5.91 32-bit from my computer(which is on a network as shown)
I am using the complete config file, and have configured it all afaik. Including binding HW-Timmy(the eggdrop bot) to the external ip(500.500.500.500)
i type in the command /ctcp HW-Timmy CHAT
i get this:
DCC Chat session
-
Client: HW-Timmy (255.255.255.255)
-
Acknowledging chat request...
Invalid IP address!
When i type in /chat HW-Timmy or /chat HW-Timmy help (/chat is an alias for /dcc chat HW-Timmy) I get this:
Chat with HW-Timmy
Waiting for acknowledgement...
I also cannot telnet to the bot from my computer or the linux box. I have tried port 3333 and port 5959 with the external ip and i have tried 127.0.0.1 while telneting on the linux box.
It comes up with an error: Connection Refused

When tring the same dcc command as above from an unintroduced user it comes up with a msg similar to:
-HW-Timmy- I do not accept DCCs from unknown users
or something like that...
I could not find any documentation on how to use the dcc feature of the eggdrop bot.
Thanx in advance, GeoMan59
P
Petersen
Owner

Post by Petersen »

your bot is bound to your external ip. This means that its only gonna accept telnets to that ip. Basically, because the bot is only communicating via the external ip, the network subnet is unroutable to it. To route to your windows box's subnet, it would have to route via the linux box's lan ip, which the bot has prevented doing because its hard bound to the external ip.
Ways around this are, /ctcp bot chat. This makes the bot chat you, which basically ends up as a standard telnet connection. The thing you have to note, is that even if you're telneting from your lan box, you still have to telnet to the internet ip - that is the only ip it is listening on. Also, telneting from the linux box itself, you still have to use the internet ip - it aint listening on 127.0.0.1.
G
GeoMan59
Voice

Post by GeoMan59 »

I have tried telneting to the bot from the linux machine using the external/internet ip. i have also tried commenting out the line that sets the external ip.
so on my linux box(staying with the above example) i typed in:
telnet 500.500.500.500 5959
and i still got the same error:
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Am i using the wrong commands or what?
t
tainted
Master

Post by tainted »

Do you have a ipfilter or firewall setup at all? If so, and it defaults (or is configured) to a closed ruleset, have you added the correct rules to allow traffic to/from that port? I assume you know how to properly setup routing, and that everything in that dept is correct. Can/is the bot connect(ed) to a botnet? When you do a netstat -a, is it listening on the right address and port?
G
GeoMan59
Voice

Post by GeoMan59 »

I did a netstat -a and it is listening on that port, but on the ip 255.255.255.255 :x
t
tainted
Master

Post by tainted »

And you have set my-ip "your external ip" in your conf file?

Problem solved
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

One of the things you did not state, is how the 2 computers are connected to the internet (connection type (adsl, cable) is not an issue).

Do you use a router, do you have 2 NIC's in the linux box, and pipe connections using NAT?

If you use a router, then the network has 3 internal IP's, and one external.
1 internal on linux box (EG 192.168.1.2)
1 internal on your box (EG 192.168.1.3)
1 internal and 1 external on router (EG 192.168.1.1 and 212.159.100.246)
To work in this situation, you should setup the bot in the following way. Set my-ip to the linux box's internal network IP (192.168.1.2) and find the NAT ip setting, and use the external IP there (212.159.100.246).
G
GeoMan59
Voice

Post by GeoMan59 »

Tainted helped me over mirc and we fixed it, thanx for all the help :D
t
tainted
Master

Post by tainted »

Over irc! :roll:
G
GeoMan59
Voice

Post by GeoMan59 »

ACK! Sry bout that. I was using mIRC :P
a
astroboy

Post by astroboy »

I don't suppose you could post what tainted did to help you? Cuz i'm having the same problem. I use FreeBSD and i'm trying to get my eggdrop working. It connects to the server (gamesnet) all fine, i msg it and i became the owner but i can't DCC chat with it :/

any tips/suggestions are welcomed heh.

:o
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

The are litteraly limitless solutions, which depend on the curcumstances. However, not knowing the curcumstaces doesn't help.
t
tainted
Master

Post by tainted »

Ok, there is no shame in a typo slipping past you! :P The whole problem was his my-ip setting in the conf had an extra digit in it.
a
astroboy

Post by astroboy »

#set my-ip "127.0.0.1"

is this the line you're referring to?
and if so... i set that to my internal IP? or my net IP?

sorry... i'm new heh
:wink:
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

As stated in my first reply to you, we are unable to help unless we know more about your setup.

How are you connected to the net? Modem, broadband?

How do you share the connection between multiple computers? Router, linux machine, windows machine?