This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Problem with "make" on Snow Leopard/OSX

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
w
w0by
Voice

Post by w0by »

Thanks...the new eggdrop directory that it installed works properly....is this just a bug in OSX or something do you think? I used to be able to install and it would work fine...but now it comes up with those errors. Weird.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

It might be an autoconf-issue from what I've google'd...
But simply put, the resolv library is not included in the linking when it's needed (autoconf fails to add it to the Makefile).
NML_375
w
w0by
Voice

Post by w0by »

Thanks for your help...I'm not sure if the bot works though because it says its started but then I go to telnet to it and its dead...I'll figure it out hopefully.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Step one would be to verify that it's still running - the ps command should list the currently running processes, though I'm not that familiar with OSX...

Also, if you've set my-ip or my-hostname in your config-file, you'll need to use this IP/hostname when telnetting, as your eggdrop then won't listen on any other addresses (such as localhost/127.0.0.1)

You could also try starting your eggdrop with -nt option (along with -m if you've yet to create a userfile). This should prevent your eggdrop from forking into background, hopefully giving you some more information as to what is going on..
NML_375
w
w0by
Voice

Post by w0by »

Thanks a lot for your help. It must've been a fluke or something, I'm not sure, but it's up and running and connected on IRC now so I'm not sure why it kept dying before. Thanks again! I'm going to make sure I keep this information in a text file so i'll be able to remember to do the steps you told me. Thanks again.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

If your eggdrop works well using the -nt flag, but freezes without it, then you are most likely suffering from a recent issue with threaded versions of libtcl8.5.
If that's the case, drop a post and I'll post the quickfix, otherwize - enjoy your eggie.
NML_375
w
w0by
Voice

re: hey there

Post by w0by »

Hey there,

I just got home and tried to boot up the bot without the -nt and the process isn't there or dies within a second or something. I'm guessing I'm having the bug you were writing about. What's the quickfix that I should use?

Thanks again!
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Locate the eggdrop.h file and open it in a text editor. Find a line that should look something like this

Code: Select all

\* #undef HAVE_THREADED_TCL */
You'll have to chane that line into this

Code: Select all

#define HAVE_THREADED_TCL 1
And then recompile your eggdrop.

Be adviced that this editing should be done after you've run the configure script, but before you start running make.
NML_375
w
w0by
Voice

Post by w0by »

hmmmm...I'm looking in the eggdrop.h file and I can't find any similar lines that at all...I even did a search for the word "threaded" and it doesn't see anything....weird...do you think I should just put an older version of TCL on my system?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Sorry, my memory failed me. Look for HAVE_TCL_THREADS instead. Make sure it's #defined to 1
NML_375