This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop ping

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
m
mo
Voice

Eggdrop ping

Post by mo »

hey there. I've been trying to figure out why my eggdrop's ping is consitently high. It's usually about 3 secs at all times. Sometimes over.

I've concluded the fault doesn't lie with the shell it's running on because I connect through a bnc on the same shell to the same server and my ping is consistently under 1 second.

I have added a couple tcl addons for the bot but the ping issue existed long before I made any additions.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.
mo
m
mo
Voice

Post by mo »

bumb. maybe in 35 more views someone'll have something to say
mo
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

Have you bothered to remove ALL tcl scripts you have loaded and see if there's any change? Then load one by one and find the culprit.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
m
mo
Voice

Re: Eggdrop ping

Post by mo »

mo wrote:I have added a couple tcl addons for the bot but the ping issue existed long before I made any additions.
Have you bothered to read my post?
mo
m
mo
Voice

Post by mo »

hm
mo
Trixar_za
Op

Post by Trixar_za »

Eh, what did you expect after that response to caeser? You didn't read his post at all. He didn't JUST say unload all of them. He said load them one by one until you find which one was causing the lag.

Some scripts (like those that use bind time for example) keep having an effect even AFTER you remove them from the conf and rehash. The only true way to fix it is to restart the bot. Actually, I remember working on a script where I had to change the bind time several times. I just couldn't work out why it was executing several times. Seems each time I changed the bind time and rehashed, it created ANOTHER bind time.

You also get scripts with errors that aren't noticeable besides them not working, them crashing the bot or causing slow downs. Note the last bit. Other large and process heavy scripts (like Allprotection with bot detection turned on) can also seriously slow down an eggdrop.

You see, you didn't really provide us with much information. Like WHICH version of Eggdrop have you been using, WHICH scripts do you have loaded in it and did you MESS with them? You know, the basics information needed to help people help you. As you can see the cause can be anything and to identify it, we need a lot of information to help figure it out. For you however, caeser's method is the best and fastest way to identify the problem with so little to go on.
m
mo
Voice

Post by mo »

I'm not sure how to put it any simpler than I already have...

If the problem existed before I added any scripts to the bot, then it is safe to assume that none of the scripts are the culprit. So whether I unload them one by one, all at once, or speak to them nicely as I do it, it will make no difference...

As far as the version is concerned, it's the latest...

Moderator edit: careful with your language.
mo
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

Then this is the time for Occam's Razor. This implies that in a situation, where many variables are used and the accuracy for finding the offending variable becomes indiscernable without assumptions. The simplest answer, is "usually" the correct answer.

So in this situation, the problem would be the shell your bot is on. This is because we "assume" eggdrop is the cause. But the problem cannot exist on eggdrop as you've proven with emotion, the use of cursing, over use of bold, you trying to tell us you are frustrated. Demonstrating to me you're still focusing on the effect, not the cause. The cause of your problem is your shell. The effect is your eggdrop is being denied cpu time/hdd space/ram or a combination of all of this which causes your entire "eggdrop" to experience the ping. This is probably the scenario here. You're welcome. Find a better shell provider.
m
mo
Voice

Post by mo »

The shell is fine. Next.
mo
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

If your bouncer doesn't lag, yet the eggdrop lags without any scripts loaded (at least that's what you first claim) what else could be if not one of the scripts that is loaded? Got any extra modules loaded? I tend to agree with speechles on this:
[...]the effect is your eggdrop is being denied cpu time/hdd space/ram or a combination of all of this[...]
if you still say if you unload all scripts the eggdrop still lags.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

mo wrote:The shell is fine. Next.
Lies. Your shell is the cause. A BNC (bouncer) is a split process. You can run two of them on a single process. It isn't resource heavy at all. So yes, a bouncer will stay.

An eggdrop cannot be split as a process. It's resource heavy. It will ping easily on horrible shells.

Find a new shell guy. Eggdrop doesn't like crappy shells. You seem to be defending your crappy provider. Spend your money elsewhere. Get better service. End of line. End of thread.
t
thommey
Halfop

Post by thommey »

How did you measure "eggdrop's ping"?
Pixelz
Voice

Post by Pixelz »

Code: Select all

22:46:49 -> [MoBot] PING
22:46:49 [MoBot PING reply]: 0secs
There's clearly something wrong here, but it has nothing to do with your Eggdrop.
Pixelz @ EFnet, freenode, QuakeNet, Undernet
simple
Voice

Post by simple »

I blame the Nagle Algorithm.