This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

eggdrop, HEELLLPP!

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
B
Brink
Voice

eggdrop, HEELLLPP!

Post by Brink »

So I am very new to shell accounts and eggdrop bots. I have an account over at FreeBSDshell.com and despite me contacting them I have yet to get any response and It is annoying me trying to figure everything out on my own. so here are my very stupid questions:

1.) How do I go about setting up? do I need to download anything to host my bot off of?

2.) what is a host?
3.) what is a proxy?
4.) How do I get an eggdrop?

I have tried to download an eggdrop and the it isnot in a folder format..it is JUST a script.

I am honestly at a loss......
anyone care to help me out?
=)
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Reading the following pages should provide you with most of the information you'll need:
http://eggwiki.org/Main_Page
http://www.egghelp.org/setup.htm
Once you've read through these, and you have some more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask

A host can be alot of different things, depending on it's context. But most likely, we are talking of the machine/system hosting the shell and/or eggdrop process. It may also refer to the internet address (IP-address/DNS-name) of the same machine/system.

A proxy is a piece of software, whose sole purpose is to relay data or connections on your behalf. You most likely don't need to worry about this if you are going to run an eggdrop on a rented shell.

If you didn't find the answer from the links in (1.), get the source from ftp://ftp.eggheads.org/pub/eggdrop/source/1.6/
As of this post, the latest release of the 1.6 eggdrop is 1.6.20, and you'll want to download either the .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 file, which contains a compressed archive ("tarball") with the eggdrop source.
NML_375
B
Brink
Voice

Post by Brink »

alright, thank you for the post and links. I have my bot being worked on my the account Staff who kindly is doing it for free along with the bouncer for IRC. I have all my login info and they will help out further. I was getting frustrated but I was told I can use Telnet to login or DCC and add scripting to it