This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

wierd bot

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
k
keysersoze

Post by keysersoze »

I have a realy anoying problem with my bot...

the bot recognize ALL users by the hostmask *!USER@192.168.0.* and that means that it thinks all users are from the same machine - and also think that all users are ME - not good...

this for instance means that if I set the bot to OP me, it OPs everybody because it think that that they are all me!

P.S. the '*' in the hostmask is not for hiding anything - it is how the bot actually writes it!
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Are you sure this is the only hostmask for the user?

Can you paste the output of a whois on yourself. This will help explain this.

Can you paste the output of typeing ".channel #<channel-you-are-on>". This will explain who the records are matching to.

Note, you may think they are not related, but many people have said that before, and been proved wrong. So just follow the process, and we find the problem in the end.
k
keysersoze

Post by keysersoze »

if i do that the following happens:

-------------------------------------

[14:57] <NeckWood> NICKNAME HANDLE JOIN IDLE USER@HOST
[14:57] <NeckWood> @NeckWood * 11:14 <- it's me!
[14:57] <NeckWood> KeyserSoze KeyserSoz 11:14 N USER@192.168.0.hide-42520
[14:57] <NeckWood> Skywalker^DownTown KeyserSoz 12:39 N 1h ~USER@192.168.0.hide-26463
[14:57] <NeckWood> Iznogood KeyserSoz 14:17 N USER@192.168.0.hide-42157

-------------------------------------

we all got a different USER@HOST - but we all have the same HANDLE... and therefore it OPs everybody and not only me
E
EvilBorg

Post by EvilBorg »

Why dont you just change your IDENT so its unique then?

IE; USER@ make it ITSME@

That will stop the problem.
k
keysersoze

Post by keysersoze »

two reasons;

- i don't know how

- it would be a little easier if the bot something about it itself, because there is many users and many will have different rights

so what i wish, is something so each get each their HANDLE
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

The problem here is the the USER@HOST.

You didn't give me the .whois that I needed, but it shouldn't matter.

A hostmask is a string of text with wilfcards in it. Now if you look at the hostmask in your whois (*!USER@192.168.0.*) and the host you have on IRC, you will see that no matter who you are, it will recognise you.

This look like a network designed to stop user running eggdrop. As every 1 matches no matter where they are.

There is only one way around this, and it isn't even very secure.

you have to prepend you nickname to the hostmask your bot looks for.

EG, do ".-host keysersoze *!USER@192.168.0.*".
THen add ".+host keysersoze keysersoze!USER@192.168.0.*".

Changing the part of the host mask to match the other users nicknames ont here records.

This does leave it slightly insecure. If a user changes his nickname to keyserzoze, he matches you, thus if he gets your password, he has your access.

Eggdrop is not designed for the network you are on, so there is not much else that can be done.