This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Override global flags?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
a
anlag
Voice

Override global flags?

Post by anlag »

So, I've tried to read up on various user and channel modes as well as other ways to do this, but can anyone tell me if there's a way to override global flags on specific channels?

The issue is I have a number of trusted people with a global +o flag, which is normally fine as they can have ops in any channel except there's this one, which is a bit more of an official channel where ops are and should be more restricted. I generally don't have my bot opped in there, but the network services have been dodgy lately and as a precaution I'm letting the bot keep ops as well, but then it auto ops also people that it shouldn't. If I could have them NOT get auto ops in that particular channel, while still leaving the global flag intact everywhere else, that would be the peak of convenience for me.

I'm already guessing it won't be possible, but any input will be appreciated nonetheless. Thanks.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

.chanset #channelname -autoop
I must have had nothing to do
a
anlag
Voice

Post by anlag »

Thanks. Unfortunately that does not seem to work.

04:22:39 <mynick> .chanset #channel -autoop
04:22:39 <botnick> Successfully set modes { -autoop } on #channel.

Then deopped and reopped the bot, and it immediately gave ops to the two other users with global +o in the channel. Is there anything else I need to do to make that autoop channel flag work? I've never seen it have any effect, despite testing various scenarios.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Other than that, I can only think of maybe +protectops channel setting having an effect.

Leave +protectops and -autoop as they are and try restarting the bot. Deop the other global +o users while the bot is away from the channel so that this action goes unseen. See if it reops them when it returns.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

.chattr handle +ao
.chattr handle +d #thatchannel

That should give them global operator, automatically on join. But when joining #thatchannel they will always be deopped. This should do it.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

anlag wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately that does not seem to work.

and it immediately gave ops to the two other users with global +o in the channel.
Do those two users have either global or channel specific +a flag?
a
anlag
Voice

Post by anlag »

willyw wrote:Do those two users have either global or channel specific +a flag?
They have global +ao, which is how I'd like to keep them for the sake of all other channels. The community in question is fairly dynamic in the sense that a lot of new channels tend to get created, used for a few months, and then abandoned, which means global flags are convenient to use rather than always adding a lot of separate user flags for different channels.
arfer wrote:Other than that, I can only think of maybe +protectops channel setting having an effect.

Leave +protectops and -autoop as they are and try restarting the bot. Deop the other global +o users while the bot is away from the channel so that this action goes unseen. See if it reops them when it returns.
+protectops was/is set, I did not however restart the bot. I didn't think this would make a difference, since other channel flags appear to be implemented directly (for example, +inactive). I'd still try it and may experiment later, but...
speechles wrote:.chattr handle +ao
.chattr handle +d #thatchannel

That should give them global operator, automatically on join. But when joining #thatchannel they will always be deopped. This should do it.
...this worked perfectly. Very good, I didn't expect it, since I thought global flags would always take precedence but this is indeed exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to reply!
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

Can I just say that I was suggesting you restart the bot merely to give opportunity to deop users without the bot seeing it, not because it otherwise needed to be restarted.