This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

problems with sockets

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
d
darcdante
Voice

problems with sockets

Post by darcdante »

I have installed the google.tcl, and weather.tcl...

when I try to use the google script, I get this:

[12:58:21] Tcl error [pub:google]: couldn't open socket: permission denied

when I try the weather script I get this:
[12:59:02] Tcl error [pub:wz]: couldn't open socket: permission denied

I've googled and searched this forum for the last two days and cannot find ANYTHING that fixes this problem...

Can anyone help??

Here is my eggdrop startup:

Eggdrop v1.6.21 (C) 1997 Robey Pointer (C) 2011 Eggheads
[12:35:39] --- Loading eggdrop v1.6.21 (Sun Jan 8 2012)
[12:35:39] Listening at telnet port 30035 (all).
[12:35:39] Module loaded: blowfish
[12:35:39] Module loaded: dns
[12:35:39] Module loaded: channels
[12:35:39] Module loaded: server
[12:35:39] Module loaded: ctcp
[12:35:39] Module loaded: irc
[12:35:39] Module loaded: notes (with lang support)
[12:35:39] Module loaded: console (with lang support)
[12:35:39] Module loaded: seen
[12:35:39] Module loaded: uptime
[12:35:39] bseen1.4.2c: -- Bass's SEEN loaded --
[12:35:39] Loading seen database...
[12:35:39] Done loading 11 seen records.
[12:35:39] egghttp.tcl API v1.1.0 by strikelight now loaded.
[12:35:39] alice.tcl 1.4.0 by strikelight is now loaded.
[12:35:39] scripts/weather.tcl error: can't find package htmlparse
[12:35:39] Tcllib is required, see http://wiki.tcl.tk/12099
[12:35:39] weather.tcl 2.0.6 loaded
[12:35:39] IMDB Info Version 23.08.2011: LOADED
[12:35:39] Google v0.2.1 - LOADED!
[12:35:39] Loading dccwhois.tcl...
[12:35:39] Loaded dccwhois.tcl
[12:35:39] Userinfo TCL v1.07 loaded (URL BF GF IRL EMAIL DOB PHONE ICQ).
[12:35:39] use '.help userinfo' for commands.
[12:35:39] Writing channel file...
[12:35:39] Userfile loaded, unpacking...
[12:35:39] === Don: 3 channels, 1 users.
Launched into the background (pid: 49787)
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

The solution to your problem, and to this problem are the same. The answer is obvious yet most people miss this part.

In getting a "free" or "super cheap" shell, it becomes obvious it's that way for a reason. It may be lacking things installed or access granted that allow eggdrop to perform certain functions. A "web script", one that interacts with a website, will need the ability for eggdrop to create tcp sockets. Your issue isn't with eggdrop in these cases. You need to speak-it-out with your shell administrator. Find out the limitations, as well as the benefits of their service. Terminate and migrate your stuff as the limitations out-weigh the benefits. This is the natural ebb, and flow of the internets. Cheap, doesn't necessarily mean better. Expensive, doesn't necessarily mean better. Weigh the pros and cons of all, and you can see through their "hype"...

Also, the scripts you are using are out-dated and broken..
--> Google v0.2.1 - LOADED!

Perhaps, and this is just me and the wind here. You should instead use this. This script is support by me directly. It will be improved upon, and maintained into the future. That Google v0.2.1 has been dead for several years and very very very very (add 10,000 verys) limited.

Within the forum, are buried links to full scripts, and code segments to full scripts that only exist within the forum. You will not find these on the archive. Your best friend is use the "search" feature of this very forum instead of trolling the tcl archive to find scripts. You will be much better off my friend.
Last edited by speechles on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d
darcdante
Voice

Post by darcdante »

speechles wrote:The solution to your problem, and to this problem are the same. The answer is obvious yet most people miss this part.

In getting a "free" or "super cheap" shell, it becomes obvious it's that way for a reason. It may be lacking things installed or access granted that allow eggdrop to perform certain functions. A "web script", one that interacts with a website, will need the ability for eggdrop to create tcp sockets. Your issue isn't with eggdrop in these cases. You need to speak-it-out with your shell administrator. Find out the limitations, as well as the benefits of their service. Terminate and migrate your stuff as the limitations out-weigh the benefits. This is the natural ebb, and flow of the internets. Cheap, doesn't necessarily mean better. Expensive, doesn't necessarily mean better. Weigh the pros and cons of all, and you can see through their "hype"...
I see... Thank you for your help, I will do this.

Cool, maybe that's my problem! I'll check out the forum for scripts...
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Just some info..
Getting "permission denied" errors while working on sockets usually means one of two things; you are trying to use a privileged port (1-1024) on the local interface as non-root, or the system has rather tightly set SELinux rules.

Since neither of these scripts listens to sockets, that pretty much rules the first case out - most likely leaving the SELinux issue to be.
NML_375
d
darcdante
Voice

Post by darcdante »

nml375 wrote:Just some info..
Getting "permission denied" errors while working on sockets usually means one of two things; you are trying to use a privileged port (1-1024) on the local interface as non-root, or the system has rather tightly set SELinux rules.

Since neither of these scripts listens to sockets, that pretty much rules the first case out - most likely leaving the SELinux issue to be.
Okay, I've contacted the shell provider to see what they have to say... I asked them if they were able to allow my eggdrop to open TCP ports, etc... So.. we will see.

I'm hoping I don't have to move everything.

I installed speechles' script, and now I get:
Socket Error accessing 'http://www.google.com/search?q=avast&sa ... f-8&nfpr=1' .. Does it exist?
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

darcdante wrote:I installed speechles' script, and now I get:
Socket Error accessing 'http://www.google.com/search?q=avast&sa ... f-8&nfpr=1' .. Does it exist?
Does it do that for every !trigger?

Try:
!w eggdrop
!e egg

If both of these give the same exact identical error about a socket error and asking you to check everytime if the url exists. This is my way of having the script safely catch the tcl error and asks the user to visit the site themselves as the bot isn't able to at that time.

Your problem is indeed as nml375 has stated. There is nothing more you or we can do for you at this point. Your shell administrator is either: a) non-compliant and doesn't understand what an eggdrop is and has no business hosting them -or- b) is overwhelmed and simply doesn't care...... I'm guessing it may be more of (a) than it is (b), but in either case I would start to archive and tar up some of the contents and at least prepare for a quick migration, rather than wait for them to "get around to it" and address your issue.