This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

New to the module world. Need help.

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
P
Photon
Op

Post by Photon »

You didnt read my second post did you?

The error is there ... look up there.

Dont do a make static - that means that the modules are no longer dynamically loaded. Do a make clean then a make debug (i think - check the compiling docs - there are lots of docs in the release, not just source!!!)

alos, I wasnt talking about typing the command into dcc, I was talking about having a dcc connection to the console open at the time, and watching for putlogs (its a function - and its used in woobie - as I said before, if you have your console level set right, you will see the putlogs appear in the dcc chat - its a lot like old skool printf debugging. except with a bigger cache problem ;) )

and yes - ppslim is right - context is your friend - that and the docs folder in the distribution - all of this is explained in there!!!
stdragon
Owner

Post by stdragon »

First of all, 'buffer' is a single char. You need to read into nArray!

Also, if you're doing this on linux, you can use gdb to find out exactly what is happening. Follow the directions to make a debug-enabled eggdrop ('make debug'). Then when it crashes, you should have a core file in the bot's dir... like core.1234 (pid). You should then type (in the bot's dir):

gdb eggdrop core.1234

It will start, read in 'symbol information,' and then tell you exactly where the bot crashed. If it doesn't, type "where" and it will show you. There are really advanced things you can do with it... I can't explain them all here, but probably the most useful is to use the "up" command to go up the backtrace to your function (it will tell you which function it is in at each step... use "down" if you went too far up) and then use "print <varname>" and you can see the values of all your variables at the time of the crash. It's really handy.

Another useful thing is to start eggdrop, and then type

gdb eggdrop -p 1234 (your pid)

Gdb will attach to eggdrop and let you debug it while it's actually running. You can set a breakpoint ("break <function name>" command) at the function that is crashing and then use "step" to go line-by-line until it crashes.
U
UmbraSG
Voice

Post by UmbraSG »

Okay, going to give it a shot. Had computer problems, so it's a good thing I posted the code :D Ended up having to build an entirly new system and wipe the harddrives. God, don't you just love it when everything goes wrong all at once ?

Umby
U
UmbraSG
Voice

Post by UmbraSG »

YES!!!!! Finally, I got it to work! Thank you all for you help. Indeed, I was overlooking parts.

UmbraSG, who will probably have more questions soon enough ;)