This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

im looking for fi shells.

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
v
virtuoso
Halfop

ddd

Post by virtuoso »

ok. i've thought to your points this night and i think that they are more right than mine. at this point i will leave the old channel and i will reopen a new one. this time i want to give more protection to my new channel. what i want ask to u is to tell me what are the best shell providers for each nation of the world. i want to buy 1 process for each one place.

de = unixshell.de
at = ?
si = ?
fi = ?
gr = ?
en = kirenet.com
ro = exodus.ro

others ? thanks
d
dollar
Op

Re: ddd

Post by dollar »

virtuoso wrote:each nation of the world

de = unixshell.de
at = ?
si = ?
fi = ?
gr = ?
en = kirenet.com
ro = exodus.ro
Those are all the 'nations' in the world? Perhaps you should check a map or something :P
v
virtuoso
Halfop

ggg

Post by virtuoso »

shell providers aren't in each nation. i don't need a map,but only a little list of the best shell providers for each nation that u know. for example,will be good to find a shell provider for *.si and *.fi,because i know that they are very rare. they can help me to protect better my new channel.
A
Azazel

Post by Azazel »

Virtuoso >

Slick way of getting an answer to the question that everyone has told you they would not answer.

:D
v
virtuoso
Halfop

ddd

Post by virtuoso »

now my goal is changed. a reply is appreciated. :-D
d
dollar
Op

Re: ddd

Post by dollar »

virtuoso wrote:now my goal is changed. a reply is appreciated. :-D
What about the shell provider list @ egghelp.org?
v
virtuoso
Halfop

sss

Post by virtuoso »

it is a little old.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

I updated the Americas and Europe & Middle East sections last month, with the rest to follow this month. These updates included deleting providers and updating existing ones.

It's been a while (November) since I last added new providers--many pending requests are sitting in my inbox. But this is probably a good thing, because it's the new providers who tend to show up out of nowhere and stick up a website claiming to be the new "best" provider, take customers' money, then disappear or stop providing shells after a few months because they didn't have a business plan that could deal with the realities (high fraud rate, DoS attacks, etc.) of selling shell accounts to the public.

When I update the list's backend in the next few months I will be de-emphasising new providers--I suspect the List New Providers link is mainly useful to fraudsters looking for frest meat--and providing more useful information, such as how long a provider has been listed.
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

shell providers

this thread seems like a huge waste of time, energy, and resource. Making post after post on such a moot point, this place teaches you to make channel sentinels to prevent channel takeovers, not assist anyone in breaking the law. Kinda weak way to pump up your numbers on the forum.
A properly configured botnet can secure channel ops on any network, and prevent any sort of nonsense from unknown individuals. Don't believe me? #guardiansbots on irc.austnet.org I welcome you to come and test my botnets security. All your false bravado won't help you one damn bit against a properly configured botnet, nor will it help you build better bots so you don't continue to lose your oh-so-special channel.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

-> Take this "I sprayed some grafiti with permission onto a wall next door. Because of that, I now own the wall". Dream on.

i can't own the wall,because its not mine. but i can ask that my work will be recognized in some way.
100% correct.

You can be recognised for running a sucesful comunity, just like you ca be recognised for art.

However, just like the wall, you don't own the network, thus you never owned the channel
-> I can't find a single referance sayign you or your hated friend own the channel on IRCnet.

ok,u are tell me that i can get a channel with a takeover,because i can't find a reference saying that someone owns a channel
in ircnet. if i will be stronger,the channel will be mine.
Again, correct.

There is no list stating who own the channel, because as a simple fact, the server owners own it.

You are also correct in saying the stronger person wins, however, you will find that you can quickly becaome the weakest.

I pay good money every year to protect a community that does not belong to me, nor ever will. If it is taken, then so be it.

I never take on a challenge. What I did say is that if sombody is willing to take my channel, then so be it. I am not going around demanding or saying "here it is", just that should anybody attempt it.
Spock7291
Voice

Post by Spock7291 »

I got tired of all the users who tried to lord it over those with less experience. After trying many different channels on many different servers, I think I've come up with a viable solution ... I started my own server.

If someone takes it over, I can just take it down, change the parameters offline, and start up again. It would be a pain, but at least I now have more control (and more headaches) than before. :wink:
PCTalk Web Site and Chat Administrator
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

Some IRC servers do allow you to do more than that, and no restart or something like this needed. Just gline or whatever the morons and get the channel back, IF you have the right flags of cource, but since you've said you've started your own server then I guess there is no "flags" problem :)
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
v
virtuoso
Halfop

no,no,no

Post by virtuoso »

oh guy. if u own your personal server,u don't fix the main problem,the denial of service. the moron could dos your server and everything will go down. u can't protect it succesfully against a dosnet of 200 linked shells.
each site or server will be down. while its more difficult to kill a big server,its easier to kill your. and it could be down for a long time if morons wants it. the only solution could be to find a way to resist agains dos or smurf...but at this time no one has found it.
Spock7291
Voice

Post by Spock7291 »

virtuoso:
I disagree. While my server can be accessed via the Internet, the main purpose I set it up for is to provide a teaching aid to help teach my computer students something about the Internet.

While they wouldn't be able to access it from home, I can just disconnect from the Internet and they can access it in the class via the Intranet. No problems then from script kiddies or ddos.

Having said that, I think castration too easy for such trash. :evil:
PCTalk Web Site and Chat Administrator
Turambar
Halfop

Post by Turambar »

and it it's only for a closed group of people you can setup your ircd the way that all the connections need to issue a password to access the server