This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop to join a channel with a key?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

eltech wrote:great welcome to the n00b ... thanks.. i'll read up
:wink: your welcome
incith
Master

Post by incith »

Since I just had trouble doing this, I'll post what worked for me, and what didn't.

What didn't was everything before this post, setting need-key to join #chan password does not work (at least for me).

What I did do was modify it to look like every other need- setting I already have.

Code: Select all

.chanset #channel need-key putserv "JOIN #channel password"
and the bot instantly joined the channel in question.

My other FreeNode-based settings are as follows (your bot has to be channel admin/etc):

.chanset #channel need-op putserv "CS OP #channel"
.chanset #channel need-invite putserv "CS INVITE #channel"
.chanset #channel need-unban putserv "CS UNBAN #channel"
These are for FreeNode, CS is a server command for sending commands to ChanServ without using /msg, there is also NS for NickServ, etc.
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

I guess that's what demond initially meant in hist post. "join #channel key" is a TCL code and does not mean that the bot will join #channel. So of course, you have to use putserv "join #channel key" as incith said. (I wonder how we didn't notice this initially)
J
JiiPee
Voice

Post by JiiPee »

demond wrote:use .+chan command and then set need-key setting to:

.chanset #blah need-key join #blah thekey
naturally, if the key changes, you'll need either to do .chanset again, have someone invite the bot, or better yet, have another bot on channel and run botnetop.tcl on all bots (for automatic key exchange when needed)
Correction to this, right command would be:

.chanset #foo need-key putquick "join #foo bar"

"join" is tcl command, not eggdrop command to join channel, that why it's not working.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

JiiPee, I belive this was covered a few posts back (and quite a few years back). Further, "putquick" is the tcl command, the rest is sent to the remote irc server. Hence, "join" is an irc command. As for "eggdrop command", I'm not sure what you are referring to...

That said, Welcome to the egghelp.org forum.
NML_375