This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

executing perl from tcl script?

Help for those learning Tcl or writing their own scripts.
droolin
Halfop

executing perl from tcl script?

Post by droolin »

Is it possible to execute an external process from inside an tcl script. Ie, I want to call a perl script that creates an image file based on information known by the eggie.
Im going to be using perl, cause I want to use the GD perl module for creating this image.
Is it possible????

droolin
droolin
Halfop

would it be this???

Post by droolin »

I havent written the perl program yet, so I havent tested. But, would it be something like this?

exec perl CreateImage.pl $varible

There is no need to receive back from this perl program the status. Like I said, its creating an image file for a web site based on things going on.

yes/no/maybe?

droolin
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
droolin
Halfop

thank you

Post by droolin »

very much appriceated

droolin
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

I used a PERL script with asyncronous I/O (open |, fconfigure and fileevent), but because of ineffizienz of PERL (used way too much CPU and memory) I recently finished a conversion to native C code which dropped memory usage to about 10% and CPU usuage from 20-50% to under 0,2%.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
droolin
Halfop

how often was the module called though?

Post by droolin »

The module I want to create will be called at most, twice an hour.
It's to create a banner for a web page containing the persons name that is streaming on an irc radio station. When they execute in channel a bot command to set topic that they are the current dj is the only time this would be called.
Currently the bot creates a text file pulled into a web page cgi script for the display, but someone wants to have the same display on frapper. And frapper wont let you link to cgi scripts. But, it will allow for an image.
So, I figured I would just have the eggie call a small script that cretaes an image of the dj's name. It might merge another image with it, but thats the extent of it.
I can understand how cpu usage would be high on intense graphic creation, but this shouldn't be that high because the graphics shouldnt be that great. God, I hope not anyway.

droolin