This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

eggdrop w/chat room for continuous text feed?

Requests for complete scripts or modifications/fixes for scripts you didn't write. Response not guaranteed, and no thread bumping!
d
darrenlittlejohn
Voice

eggdrop w/chat room for continuous text feed?

Post by darrenlittlejohn »

Hi,

I have a project for the Tibetan Buddhists that is very important. I registered a domain for them called Sutra of Golden Light http://sutraofgoldenlight.com which is dedicated to this amazing piece of Buddhist scripture. The Sutra is 89 pages long. What I want it to do is to continually run from the server side, maybe as an RSS feed or something similar, such that anytime a user goes to the website, the window of the 'recitation' is joined 'in progress' so to speak. So the script would have to read the entire text, line by line, and display it to an applet window or RSS feed or something.

Please note: I don't want a script that will just start the typewriting at the first paragaph over and over when anyone views the site. I want it to be reading ONE version, over and over, in a loop, infinitely, so that anyone can join in the reading at the point where the server/script is displaying it.

Do you have something that is written already that will do this? This group is non-profit, and is the school under the direct supervision of the Dalai Lama. So this is something that he himself will know about and will be very happy with. If you can help us out, we'd be happy to have a link back to your site with a credit and so forth. If there is a small fee for making this happen, I can see what they can come up with, but it would be most beneficial if this could be done as a benefit to the cause.

At any rate, I need to get it happening. Judging from the number of scripts on your site, I should think you'd be the people to talk to about this.

There is one other piece of functionality that I have to facilitate, namely getting the names and emails of people committed to reciting the sutra, and displaying an ongoing 'count' of how many are committed, as well as how many have been recited to date. I have a MYSQL database and PHP capability, but I don't know how to write script for this. I've got a little survey script going, and a Frapper Map, but that's about it so far.

Please advise.

thanks!

-d
rosc2112
Revered One

Post by rosc2112 »

How does this relate to eggdrop bots on irc?
d
darrenlittlejohn
Voice

eggdrop

this is what a scriptor said:

> my friend who is a java programmer said to use a chat room, with a 'bot'
> typing the text out. but I don't know how to get that happening.

Probably the easiest way to do that is to set up an IRC chatroom and run
"eggdrop" (if you Google "eggdrop bot" you'll probably find a lot of
info). Basically, in IRC, the bot runs continually on your server and acts
as a "user" in the IRC chatroom, keeping it open, and doing various things
such as greeting people on their arrival, or, in your case, typing the
sutra. Honestly, I haven't done much with eggdrop or IRC in years, though,
and you'd still have the problem of how to display it on your web page.
That's probably where an IRC-capable Java applet would come in.
m
metroid
Owner

Post by metroid »

You could simply install some sort of Java applet on your website that links you to a server.
You could use an eggdrop as the sole opped user (and keep the channel moderated so there is no talking/spamming) to just spew the same text over and over.
d
darrenlittlejohn
Voice

java applet

that sounds good to me. any more specific details on how to get going with this would be appreciated.

-d