This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

[SOLVED] bot to generate own ident (with oidentd)

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
p
panasonic
Voice

[SOLVED] bot to generate own ident (with oidentd)

Post by panasonic »

hi! all,

i have a psybnc and an eggdrop running on one shell account
since oidentd is running and multiple ident is enabled for my shell, psybnc will create an ident file named .oidentd.conf

Code: Select all

$ cat .oidentd.conf
global { reply "mypsybnc" }
but later when i run my eggdrop, it will catch the ident from .oidentd.conf generated by psybnc.

i have to edit .oidentd.conf to make the ident i want for my eggdrop bot

how do i make the bot to generate it own ident automatically then?

thanks for helping
Last edited by panasonic on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

what do you mean, generate it's own ident automatically? I always thought the ident was what was set on the first variable in the conf file, set username. :?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

@YooHoo:
Nope, the username variable is only used with the USER command.. Besides, eggdrop does not have a built-in identd-service. If there is no identd-service running, some ircd's use the username supplied with the USER-command (usually prefixing it with ~ or -), while others simply refuse the connection alltogether.

@panasonic:
Something like this might do the trick:

bind evnt - "connect-server" preconnect
proc preconnect {evnt} {
 set fd [open "~/.oidentd.conf" "WRONLY CREAT TRUNC"]
 puts $fd {global { reply "myeggdrop" }}
 close $fd
}
NML_375
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

thanks nml375, I have never tried to change my bot's ident before, it has always been the same value as the username from my shells. Intresting
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

This would only work with the oidentd service. Most other does not allow you as a user to alter the responsecode, but simply uses the information provided by the system (oidentd does use the same system information to locate which user was responsible for the queried connection, but then checks if that user is allowed, and wants, a different identd-response).
NML_375
R
Redento
Voice

Post by Redento »

nml375 wrote:This would only work with the oidentd service. Most other does not allow you as a user to alter the responsecode, but simply uses the information provided by the system (oidentd does use the same system information to locate which user was responsible for the queried connection, but then checks if that user is allowed, and wants, a different identd-response).
I regret to bump this thread, but i've been experiencing such a kind of problem in this period.

I've a shell which is running a moltitude of psy and eggdrops. Well, it is a custom ip, on a server which share the main ip.
Point now is that they're saying the ident can be changed on that ip, but so far, as hard as tried, i couldn't do it.

I did try the above written tcl code, i did try to change in every way the .oidentd.conf file, but no way, ident still remains the same.
Instead, the ident used is the shell's username, and well, it is not what i expect/ask/want.

I guess they're not allowing ident-user response, as you just stated in the post?

They did also answer to various mails, but i guess they aren't really in it, since they never get into this kind of problem.

If someone has any ideas, thanks in advance.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

To work oident.conf needs to be edited (as root) and the following (which works for me) needs be added under the default settings:

user <username> {
        default {
                allow spoof
                allow spoof_all
                allow random
                allow hide
        }
}
Replace <username> with the actual user's account name.

More information:

man oidentd
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM