This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

nick is invalid error on timeout/netsplit/etc

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
s
scotch
Voice

nick is invalid error on timeout/netsplit/etc

Post by scotch »

I'm having this issue with my bot never able to retrieve their nick back. The nick/altnick are set and it will always retain the altnick instead of switching back the the original nick. The keep-nick setting is set and this is occurring on efnet.

The logs are filled with the following message

Switching back to nick bot1
NICK IS INVALID: 'bot1' (keeping 'bot2').

The only way to regain the original bot nick of bot1 is to force the bot to reconnect to the server.

Currently running v1.9.5.
s
simo
Revered One

Re: nick is invalid error on timeout/netsplit/etc

Post by simo »

the nick u use for your bot is probably already in use by someone else.
s
scotch
Voice

Post by scotch »

I'm afraid that isn't the case. The nick is not in use.
CrazyCat
Revered One

Post by CrazyCat »

Peharps a stupid question, but are you sure your eggdrop is not launched twice ?
s
scotch
Voice

Post by scotch »

I'm sure there is only a single instance.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Just thinking ...

Here's a couple things to play with. Just trying to gather more info about what is really happening.

In partyline, do: .console +r
This will switch on raw logging for you (owner) in the partyline. This must first be enabled in eggdrop.conf though (for owner).
Now, you can see everything that is going on. It's a mess, but handy for times like this.

Try: .dump nick SomeNickHere
and bot should change its nick accordingly.

( You can play with: .set nick and .set botnick , too . Just to see what is config'd in bot )

You'll have to catch the timing just right, when it is trying to switch on its own from bot2 to bot1, and now you can fully see what is coming back from the server. My hope is that there is more to it, than just "NICK IS INVALID" . Maybe there will be more of a clue for us.

And when you no longer want/need to see everything, don't forget to switch raw logging back off, with: .console -r
For a fun (and popular) Trivia game, visit us at: irc.librairc.net #science-fiction . Over 300K Q & A to play in BogusTrivia !
s
scotch
Voice

Post by scotch »

Thanks for the tips.

I did try messing around with the .dump nick and the suggested .set nick and .set botnick before I manually made the bot switch servers to actually regain the proper nick. I was still stuck with my altnick while the configured nick would not change even though the configured nick was not in use on the network.

I wasn't aware of the console +r setting to figure out what is happening in more detail. I set raw-log 1 in eggdrop.conf and enabled raw logging in the partyline with .console +r.

The timing is the most annoying part as I usually catch it past the moment it is happening. Now it's time to wait until it happens.