This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

just a quick question

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
W
Weirdo
Master

just a quick question

Post by Weirdo »

I run my eggdrop off the same machine as i use my irc client on (God bless windrops, although cant wait for my linux box to work :P). Recently i have gotten some weird host name problems which interfere with nickserv and the auth scripts people use to make sure the bot is opped during netsplits. What has been happening recently is that my irc client (mirc) has been stealing the bot's hostname, and the bot has moved hostname to $botnick%%% where % is a random character. Next time the network dies, i get the bots hostname, and it makes a new randomised one.

It doesnt happen when i disconnect, it becomes what its supposed to be, but the bot still retains the random digits. How can these be taken off?
Weirdo|LabReports is MinakohVt@public2-ward1-6-cust47.oldh.broadband.ntl.com * Seb Reid

Minako is Minako4pU@public2-ward1-6-cust47.oldh.broadband.ntl.com * Minako - Cometanime Admin Bot

after i restarted mirc

Weirdo is Seb@public2-ward1-6-cust47.oldh.broadband.ntl.com * Seb Reid
Aparition
Voice

Post by Aparition »

ur talking about ident not hostname ... you are using mirc i gather ... and because mirc uses its own identd (ident daemon) you bot is getting its ident from that not from its own connection ... all i can suggest is go into your mirc settings and try turning off the identd ... however this may make it impossible to connect to your irc server as alot of irc servers require identd to allow you to connect ... also the reverse might happen where u end up with the bots ident because the server is requesting an ident from you and has to get it from somewhere the only other way I can think of is to connect the bot first then connect your mirc with identd on and see if it takes identd from your mirc ... one other possibility is to set the identd option of enable only when connecting in your mirc and then connect urself then ur bot so that the identd of mirc only functions when u connect and shouldnt work when the bot does ... try some of those hopefully one of them will work for you
Andy
Admin - www.myeggdrop.com
Senior Admin - #Eggdrop on Austnet
m
mike-c
Voice

Post by mike-c »

I find this is very useful for handling ident requests on a LAN.

All your clients will ident, no matter what PC they are on (so clients on your linux box can at the same time as your windows boxes).

The downside is that all your clients will have the same ident, whereas if you use mIRC's built in identd and allow only when connecting, each client can have a different one.