This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

dns lookup failed

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
h
harry
Voice

dns lookup failed

Post by harry »

when i start my bot it doesnt connect to irc. i get a message falied to connect irc.arcti.ca (DNS lookup failed)...why am i getting this message?
gumbydammit
Master

Post by gumbydammit »

if it is an eggdrop .. put a valid nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf your comps dns is messed
if it is a windrop i think ermm theres some file called similar that comes with windrop.. resolv.conf or something ..

ohh ermm i just tried to nslookup that address tho and it fails.. so are you sure this is a real servername? dns fails on it...
a.k.a. hellios
k
kali
Voice

explain

Post by kali »

gumbydammit wrote:if it is an eggdrop .. put a valid nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf your comps dns is messed
if it is a windrop i think ermm theres some file called similar that comes with windrop.. resolv.conf or something ..

ohh ermm i just tried to nslookup that address tho and it fails.. so are you sure this is a real servername? dns fails on it...
when u writte /etc/resolve.conf, where is that????
k
kali
Voice

the same

Post by kali »

this is my problem
[quote] > [07:39] Failed connect to chat.caliescali.com (DNS lookup failed)

so i don,t know what's wrong
gumbydammit
Master

Post by gumbydammit »

kali if its a unix comp you need to put a valid nameserver (dns server) in /etc/resolv.conf
If it is a windrop.. you need to edit resolv.conf which came with your bot
you can simply use the ip of the server instead of the hostname and make it connect.. but this is a bandaid.. not a fix to your problem
a.k.a. hellios