This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Looking for information on running an eggdrop in a VM

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
R
Red_Chaos1
Voice

Looking for information on running an eggdrop in a VM

Post by Red_Chaos1 »

First off, forgive me if this has been covered before, I did a search and came up empty handed. My search-fu may very well be weak.

Now here's what I have: my host machine is running Windows 7 64 bit.
I am running Fedora 17 (KDE) x86_64 in a VirtualBox VM.
I have installed:

OpenSSH
openssh.x86_64 0:5.9p1-29.fc17
openssh-clients.x86_64 0:5.9p1-29.fc17
openssh-server.x86_64 0:5.9p1-29.fc17

TCL
tcl-devel.x86_64 1:8.5.11-2.fc17

Eggdrop
eggdrop.x86_64 0:1.6.21-2.fc17

I've done a fair bit of Googling on this subject and most of what I can find seems to assume I have a VPS or other hosting like a shell account. What little I could find was rather difficult to follow, and at times contradictory.

If at all possible, I'd like to know exactly what I need to finish doing in order to allow an eggdrop to be run from this VM and connect to a given IRC server, etc. just like it normally would. Obviously it would need to be able to respond to users and such in the channel, but I would actually do most, if not all administration locally, unless SSH was necessary for something.

I do realize there are free shells out there, and I used to have an account with Shellium, but I'd rather not deal with the limitations, etc. that free accounts levy, and I don't really have the money to pay for hosting, etc. This is why I am going the route I am attempting. A quad core CPU idle except for gaming and a few other things, and 8GB of RAM, I think I can run a single core VM in the background without much of an issue.

Thank you in advance. :)
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

It doesn't matter if you want to run this from a a virtual environment or running as default operating system. Are you stuck somewhere or what's the problem, cos to be honest I failed to understand where you got stuck.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
R
Red_Chaos1
Voice

Post by Red_Chaos1 »

Well, I'm not super familiar with Linux yet, just enough "to be dangerous" as it were. So I have no idea if SSH is now running in the background or not, no idea what port it's running on and how to permanently change that, or whether or not I need to be doing any port forwarding, etc.

I mean, basically I got as far as getting the listed packages installed, and that's it. I'm pretty sure there's more I need to do before I can just configure my eggdrop and fire it up and expect it to work.