This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop not able to automatically join a channel

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
S
Sib
Voice

Eggdrop not able to automatically join a channel

Post by Sib »

Hi,

This is a very weird problem I'm having with my eggdrop. But first, let me start by telling you that I'm using the last version available and that I'm running it on a Debian 7 server.

Before I started adding scripts to the eggdrop, it would normally connect on the specified server and the chan I had setup. And that, automatically.

Now, even though it is setup for that specific chan, it just won't come in automatically. If I do want to make him come there, I have to go in partyline. And then when I do .+chan #chan, it says that the chan already exists, which is the case. But still, it dosn't make him go there. To have it go there, I have to do .-chan and then .+chan. Then he comes. So I do .save, .restart to see if the problem will be fixed but nope, same as before, he just doesn't join.

I checked in the bot.chan and just so you know, it's not on +inactive. Oh, and when I didn't use that previous trick, I tried using the partyline command to have the -inactive mode and then, magically, the bot arrived.

I even tried uninstalling and recompiling everything, followed by a complete server restart: no change. I just dont understand what changed between before and now. CHMOD, maybe?...

This is my bot.chan by the way:
#Dynamic Channel File for (eggdrop v1.6.20) -- written Fri Feb 18 12:40:37 2011

channel add #chan { chanmode +tn idle-kick 0 stopnethack-mode 0 revenge-mode 1 need-op {} need-invite {} need-key {} need-unban {} need-limit {} flood-chan 15:60 flood-ctcp 3:60 flood-join 5:60 flood-kick 3:10 flood-deop 3:10 flood-nick 5:60 aop-delay 5:30 ban-type 5 ban-time 120 exempt-time 60 invite-time 60 -enforcebans +dynamicbans +userbans -autoop -autohalfop -bitch +greet +protectops -protecthalfops +protectfriends +dontkickops -statuslog -revenge -revengebot -autovoice -secret +shared +cycle -seen -inactive +dynamicexempts +userexempts +dynamicinvites +userinvites -nodesynch -static }
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

I don't see anything in the settings to make it behave like you mentioned, so the culprit must be one of the scripts you load. Add one at a time until you find it and either post on the forum about it maybe we can fix it or find an alternative.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
S
Sib
Voice

Post by Sib »

I tried running it without the extra scripts loaded (which work, though) and the bot automatically joins the chan.

Tried to add each and every of those scripts once at a time and the problem comes back. Could it be the encoding of the file that messes up the bot or something? I modify my conf and tcl files with Notepad++ but I'm not quite sure that the encoding chosen is right or not. But a weird thing is that even if those scripts have that undesirable consequence, they work. For instance, I added the auth.tcl script which is supposed to auth me to Q on Quakenet.org and it does auth me properly.
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Have you tried running the bot with the -n switch?

" -n Don't background; send all log entries to console. "

Do:
./eggdrop -h
to see a list of the various switches.

This way, perhaps you will be able to see what is happening, when the bot tries and fails to join the channel.
S
Sib
Voice

Post by Sib »

I did try that just now. Nothing particular showed up in my shell console. Nothing more than what I see in partyline when I do a .restart.

Basically, when it doesn't join, it stops at the auth lines.
When it does join (without any scripts), it adds "Botname joined #chan"
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

Sib wrote: ...
Basically, when it doesn't join, it stops at the auth lines.
"auth lines?"
What do you mean?
When it does join (without any scripts), it adds "Botname joined #chan"
If you believe it is caused by a script - and you seem to indicate that - then carefully determine exactly which script is causing it.

Once you know which script it is, then you can decide what to do then.
Either quit using the script, or figure out what is wrong with it.
S
Sib
Voice

Post by Sib »

Problem solved thanks to Madalin with a simple conf file and a new auth script. Thanks!