This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

problem with pre-installed eggie

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
M
Mr_Satan

problem with pre-installed eggie

Post by Mr_Satan »

Hi guys/gals, i'm new to the world of eggdrops and shells.
I do have a shell account with a eggdrop (eggdrop1.6.10)
already install. My problem is that when i go to config it (./CONFIG)
Its tell me that the file is not loaded, or found.
Any help with this small problem would be great.

PS: Seasons greetings to all :D
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

There is no "CONFIG" program to my knowledge, or at least there isn't one provided with eggdrop itself.

This may have been provided out of the goodness of your shell providers heart. If you are having trouble with this, then you should contact the shell admins.

However, if your are trying to load a config file you have made, you will need to make sure that file path and such are correct.

First make sure the first oine of the config file, points to the correct lcoation, following the guide lines.

Secon, make sure the file is set USER execute. Do this by typeing "chmod u+x <file>" on the shell, with the correct file specified.
M
Mr_Satan

Post by Mr_Satan »

Oh i see, then i guess my problem is not knowing how to get started,
as when i type eggdrop, the system tells me that the eggdrop is now load.
So what do i do next? If i type in cd eggdrop ***, it tells me file not found.
:oops:
P
Photon
Op

Post by Photon »

http://www.egghelp.org/setup.htm

now setup your bot...!
M
Mr_Satan

Post by Mr_Satan »

Hmmm i've read the help files about how to get a eggrop going, but none of them tell me what i need to know about commands use to access the eggdrop. I mean....
(1) log on to shell
(2) Type eggdrop Respon: Loading eggdrop v1.6.10 *CONFIG file not loaded (not found or error)
(3) Type ls Respon:INBOX INBOX.DRAFTS INBOX.SENT INBOX.TRASH.

Ok now i'm totally confused....lol

any help would be greater than great. :x
S
Sotman
Voice

Post by Sotman »

log on to ur shell and edit the eggdrop.conf file, ie "vi eggdrop.conf" or what the file is named, "ls-la" in the eggydirectory can give u a hint, save the file after edit and run "./eggdrop -m configfile.name" and start up an dcc chat to ur bot..

if that not work..RTFM
M
Mr_Satan

Post by Mr_Satan »

ummm one question: How does one get into the eggydirectory.
Whats the command? :oops:
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Sugested steps.

Contact, or read your providers web-site. They are likely to have provided guides ragrding there install script, or pre-installed copies.

Otherwise, follow the guides as posted on http://www.egghelp.org/

Looking at what you have posted so far, it seems like you are using a globaly accessable copy of eggdrop. Meaning you don't actualy have direct access to the main eggdrop files.

However, please read the setup guides on egghelp.org, as they will help a lot regardless.
M
Mr_Satan

Post by Mr_Satan »

Hi
Can anyone tell me the command to remove (eggdrop1.6.10)all files from shell, as i have run out of quota in me free shell due to the pre-load of 1.6.12
Thanks
Papillon
Owner

Post by Papillon »

rm -rf <dir or file you want deleted>
Elen sila lúmenn' omentielvo
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

From the looks of what you posted above, when you typed "ls" in the shell, you don't have access to delete the pre-installed copy.

The pre-installed copy, is located in a global space,w here all users can access it directly.

My guess is, that you simply have to create a config file, and start it using that file (it will create the user, channel and notes files itself).

If you have allready run out of quota, it looks like your shell provider has set a limit, such that you can only use the pre-installed copy.
M
Mr_Satan

Post by Mr_Satan »

:roll: Hmmmm i see dang it.
Anywayz can you please advise me on how to create a config file.
Also can anyone tell me what the heck i'm suppose to do after this??

Installation completed.

You MUST ensure that you edit/verify your configuration file.
Use one of the three configuration files (eggdrop.simple.conf, eggdrop.advanced.conf and eggdrop.complete.conf) distributed with your bot.

Remember to change directory to /home/Mr_Satan/eggdrop before you proceed. umm stuff if i know
how do you change dir?
and how dose one edit the config file?

p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

There are many ways to edit the config file.

However, from the way this thread is going, we need to get a few things straight.

First. I suggest you find yourself a beginers guide to shell access. These will give the basic commands, and how to navigate them, they will also usualy give you some don'ts to take point of.

Please don't ask where you can obtain one of these, as a simple search will find these for you. It's also an idea to looka t your providers help pages, and possibly other providers help pages.

Second. Read the setup guides on eggehlp.org - I have allready stated this within one of the replies.

See THIS PAGE especialy, as it includes a guide to editing the config file.

99% of the problem with eggdrop, is that it's uses will not help themselves, and even when they are helped, unless the information is infront of there eyes when they read it, they wont follow the links or do the researched offered to them.