This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DALnet ATTACKS! #eggdrop

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
a
atrimmell

DALnet ATTACKS! #eggdrop

Post by atrimmell »

Moderator edited: PPSlim

Deleted due to the fact it may well be an impostor.

The post has been saved, and will be re-instaed, should this action be deemed inaproriate. However, the wording of the post will need to be resolved.

Should you wish to have your channel listed as a selected help point on your network, then you need to subscribe to the Eggheads.org mailing list (link on site posted), and make discussion with the developers there.
N
Nexus6
Op

Post by Nexus6 »

pathetic spam for other network.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Actualy. The above channel and network are documented as a help channel in the eggdrop README.

I woulnd't class this as spam.

On top, he is advertising a non-commercial service, on the topic of helping other eggdrop users. Thus I wouldn't class it as pathetic either.

Many people would likely call you a pathetic spammer, for A: coming up with a one line post, just to put people donw, b:being pathic by saying pathetic.
N
Nexus6
Op

Post by Nexus6 »

I've been DALnet #eggdrop op for very long time, and maybe I'm overreacting a bit. I have never seen NeVeRCLeaR in DALnet #eggdrop so I took it as spam. If I offended him, I'm sorry but I hope that DALnet will finally deal with kiddies and will become more stable.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

So is this a true user, op, helper in #eggdrop on DALnet.

If so, then the post stays, as it may well be valid.

If no, then yes, I would consider it spam too. I will delete the post.

Normaly, if somone decided to start a eggdrop help channel, they are free to do this, and advertise as such.

So long as such advertisment is non-profit and non-comercial, there is no rules and no reason to dispute such a posting.

Advertisment of Tcl scripts is somthing else. When people ask for Anti-Spam script, I will point them at no-spam, but also at to directories of other script, and possibly other script names. A programmer should never favour his own work over others.

There is one thing going against such a post like this however, the fact it is a established, documented channel.

If such a channel was to move, then they have the right to post such messages. More so, when it's known that the network on which is resides, may face death soon (though it may not, however, the attacks are worse than those that may have well killed efnet, allmost 2 years ago).

Due to the dispute this post has brought, I may well feel inclined to request that this be discussed and disputed over of the eggheads.org mailing list.
gumbydammit
Master

Post by gumbydammit »

i haved opped in #eggdrop on dalnet for a while now and i must agree with nexus6 i have never seen that nickname in there before either :)
Papillon
Owner

Post by Papillon »

did it occur to you that maybe he didn't register with the same nick on these boards as the one he use on irc? ...the only way we'll know I guess is if he loggs back in :)
Elen sila lúmenn' omentielvo
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Thats one of the primary reasons why I have kept a copy of the post.

Whilst I do trust the judgment of the good fellow from the channel in question, the hint of possible social engineering, which I can't stand, is there. From all accounts, the channel is very much alive, regardless of the attacks, when the message stated it was dead, and had moved, this sends alrms ringing too.

As such, I will very well reinstate it when requested.

I have sent the author a forum "Private message", and we will simply have to wait until he returns to the forum, until he reads it (I do not have access to the signup e-mail addresses). At this time, he has not read it. Only time will tell.
W
Weirdo
Master

Post by Weirdo »

i run an eggdrop testing and help channel on my local network, nothing to write home about. I would expect there to be an awful lot of little channels out there for this purpose.

the Dalnet channel helped me out a lot. User called Ghost helped me set up my first eggdrop :)
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

True, nothing to write home about.

The fact that Dalnet is being attacks, means that many channels and users, may need to find a new network.

This is basicaly what the message stated. It said the channel on dalnet HAD moved. AKA, don't go to dalnet. AKA, possible social engineering, to gain access to other peoples bots.

If the channel had moved, then this would be somthing to write home about. New netwokr, new possibilities, no users.
d
dvV
Voice

Post by dvV »

just in case anyone was wondering DALnet is back up and kicking for the time being. if you find irc.dal.net doesnt work try this list which is as old as this post:

animals.ca.us.dal.net
renew-r.hub.dal.net
diamond.hub.dal.net
spanish-inquisition-e.dal.net
kernel-c.nj.us.dal.net
oper-e.dal.net
torix-r.on.ca.dal.net
mesra.kl.my.dal.net
jade.va.us.dal.net
ithaca-s.ny.us.dal.net
borg.se.eu.dal.net
ced.se.eu.dal.net
eternal-c.dal.net
gaston.se.eu.dal.net
powertech.no.eu.dal.net
valhall.hub.eu.dal.net
toronto.on.ca.dal.net
misc-e.dal.net

this isnt ment to be network spam, just an aid to users that may be wondering/looking for info on server lists.

dvV