This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Bizarre userfile download problem

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
J
JamesOff

Bizarre userfile download problem

Post by JamesOff »

Hi folks,

I've been trying to set up an offline hub for a new botnet, and I'm having problems with userfile sharing. I'm not new to linking/sharing/eggdrop, so I'm not sure what's up :/

If the bot in question is acting as the hub, the leaf bots can't download the user file:

Code: Select all

[14:07] #JamesOff# link X
[14:07] Linking to X at host:4091 ...
[14:07] Received challenge from X... sending response ...
[14:07] Linked to X.
*** Linked to X
[14:07] Creating resync buffer for X
[14:07] Sending user file send request to X
[14:07] Disconnected from: X. No reason (lost 1 bot and 0 users)
*** Disconnected from: X. No reason (lost 1 bot and 0 users)
[14:07] (Userlist transmit aborted.)
There's a delay (30 seconds? the timeout value in the transfer section of the config i assume) before it fails.

On the leaf bot, the transfer fails immediately and the bot disconnects.

However, if that bot is acting as a leaf (which I did to test it), then it can happily connect to another bot and download the user file without problems.

I have tried three of my machines in different locations and different OSes, with firewalls varying from none to strict, and eggdrop versions 1.6.1[0-3]. None of the machines are behind NAT; all of them have real IPs and are routable.

This problem looks similar to some other problems I've seen described here, but I've already tried all the given solutions.

Any suggestions? :)
P
Photon
Op

Post by Photon »

Question : When you say acting as a hub or a leaf, you just mean changing the flags right?
J
JamesOff

Post by JamesOff »

Yes, that's correct. I haven't set +h yet because I got bored of it trying to autoconnect and fail every minute or so, but they bots have the appropriate p/s flag.
P
Photon
Op

Post by Photon »

My brain hurts. This one *is* bizarre.

My thoughts so far ...

you didnt accidentally throw away one of the transfer or share modules when making it limbo did you? Most likely not seeing as it can d/l userfiles.

the machine that the bot is on ... is it firewalled? The ok one way thing but not the other sounds suspicious. I take you have tried the telnet test (telnet into bot B from bot A's shell).

Um....

I'll keep thinking about it ... but you got a good one there.

/me waits for ppslim to turn up and make me look stoopid.
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

Have you set the +shared and do you have the right flags for them (leafs and hub)? Check again.. also see on the other bot that disconects them what msg (errors) it says when the disconect happens?

Also check again if you have followed the right steps on linking 2+ bots @ http://www.egghelp.org/enhance.htm
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Please be aware, that there are allways two sides to the error.

One is presented on the hub, the other on the leaf. The messages displayed can be very different. IE, one way not have had a clue what happend, thus giving a generic reply (Lost bot, transfer aborted). The otherside may be more informative. This may not allways be true, but it's a start.

While you say you can get it to operate as a leaf, but not a hub, this poses a few possible problems.

First, and the cause of 99% of these things. Make sure you have set my-ip correctly, and that the IP is infact a IP bound to a interface on that machine.

Second. Are there any more bots running on the machine? If so, are they leafs or hubs?

If you have hubs, you may want to try changing the IP you are using.

If they are leafs, do any of them function properly, if changing them into hubs?

Have you changes any of the port ranges in the config file?