This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Multi users

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
v
vince
Voice

Multi users

Post by vince »

I would like to allow every user on my server to telnet to their own eggdrop withouth assign a different telnet port to every bot. How can I do it?

Thnx for your time

Vince :rool:
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

This is allmost impossible.

This is because of the way TCP/IP is structured.

Each node on a TCP/IP network, needs a unique IP address, though 1 node can have more than one.

Now if we needed 1 IP addres, for each listening application, we would run out of IP addresses very very fast.

Thats why there are ports. One parking space, for each application than needs to listen for requests.

Just like eahc node needs a unique IP address, each application needs a unique port number too.

This means, no two nodes can have the same IP, and no two applications can use the same port.

2 seperate eggdrops are classed as two seperate aplications.

There is one or two ways to get around this.

Use firewall / port forwarding systems. These will forward the request to the real port, based on the incoming host.

However, most ISP's use dynamic hosts, thus every time a user comes onto the internet, there forwarding record may needs changing.

This advanced topic, is boyond the scope of this forum.
v
vince
Voice

Cheers.Tequila make crash with my father's car a time :)

Post by vince »

Ok. So, how shell providers works? I think they have a virtual host for every user, so they can telnet directly to their /home/user directory. But what it's not very clear to me it's how when different users are in the shell their telnet to the bot don't collides each other.
Example.
USER 1 has in his eggdrop.conf telnet all to 3333
USER 2 has the same
So on with the other users.
If they all users telnet to localhost 3333 they will all connect to the same bot.

Maybe the solution is virtual hosting. So user 1 can connect to his bot telnetting to his virtual domain
user1.domain.com
and
user2 to user2.domain.com
But I thought this was working only for web server , not for telnet.
Do you think this could be a solution?

Sorry if I'm bothering you with theese question but I'm trying to set up a freeshell host just for a few users would like to testing it. For the other issues I have no problems, I'm working with a static ip and a router with ports redirection. my idea was to allow ssh connections and internal telnet to the eggdrops.

thanks
Vince
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

The solution is very clear.

SHell providers do not need multiple IP's or virtual hosting to provide multiple eggdrops.

You simply use different ports for different bots.

See the config file, for the line starting "listen"
v
vince
Voice

Ok

Post by vince »

Ok, thank you

Vince