This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

IPV6 - Connection problem

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
i
ignavus

IPV6 - Connection problem

Post by ignavus »

Hi,

I'm not exactly an experienced eggdrop-user, but I've always got the regular ipv4-eggdrops to run easily the way I wanted.

Now I've set up an eggdrop with the required patch - ipv6 for 1.6.13 - , and it all seems to work quite okay except for one thing; my eggdrop refuses to connect to the ipv6-servers on efnet (haven't tried other networks though). The strangest part is that it only times out - it doesn't seem like the servers reject my bot, which I could've understood. The servers I am trying to connect to are irc6.qeast.net and irc.aloha.net. If I replace these servers with a regular ipv4-server (irc.choopa.net, for instance), my bot connects without any problems, but without the ipv6-vhost.

Not really a critical problem, but I can't get it out of my head, and I want it work the way it's supposed to.

Cheers,
-John
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

IPv6 isn't a matter of "Patch, compile, configure and GO".

It would be wise to test other networks first.
i
ignavus

Post by ignavus »

ppslim wrote:IPv6 isn't a matter of "Patch, compile, configure and GO".

It would be wise to test other networks first.

I figured it wouldn't be as easy as "Patch, compile, configure and GO", but I've tried just about everything I can think of (which really isn't that much). That's why I posted here, thinking someone maybe had encountered the same problem.

As I only use EFnet, I didn't give the other networks much thought, and I really have no clue as to which ipv6-servers they have either. Someone mentioned in another thread that connecting to a specific IP might work, but I'm not sure how to obtain the IP of the individual servers - DiG only gave me part of the address (through dig AAAA irc.aloha.net).

Anyway, I would be thankful if you could give me a list of other servers I might try the bot on, to at least narrow down the problem.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

It would be wise to see http://www.efnet.org/

Is your computer or router, connected to 6bone through a tunnel?

It would be wise to start from the begining, and look exactly what IPv6 is, and how it relates to IPv4.

Just like IPv4, you have to be assigned IPv6 addresses, and the same as IPv4, configure your network adapters for IPv6.
i
ignavus

Post by ignavus »

I'm not sure how the server is connected to the 6bone, as I only have a shell-account on the box. I do think it's configured right though.

Anyway, as you suggest, I should get a better grip on what ipv6 really is, I was just looking for an easy way out of this right now :wink:

Thanks!
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

For some dang odd reason, I didn't even think that you could be using a shell provider. DOn't ask me why, brain lapse or somthing.
h
har0
Voice

Ipv6 connection

Post by har0 »

The servers I am trying to connect to are irc6.qeast.net and irc.aloha.net. If I replace these servers with a regular ipv4-server (irc.choopa.net, for instance), my bot connects without any problems, but without the ipv6-vhost.
If the IPV6 was configured ok, the IPV4 server wouldn't let you get a connection, best is to contact the Shell provider