This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

SendQ exceeded remedy?

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
F
Freeman
Voice

SendQ exceeded remedy?

Post by Freeman »

Hello all,
My eggy when joining an 800+ users chan keeps getting SendQ exceeded and disconnects. I know that on some IRCD, the user mode +R(where only registered users are able to msg you) would help. But on my IRCD there isnt a similar mode. Anyone have a resolution for this? Thanks in advance.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

The SendQ error is a nasty one, and there is no way around it, no matter what people say.

The SendQ, is as it sounds, a queue.

It's the allocated memory space, for each user on a IRC server, that stores any messages that are due to be sent to him/her.

The messages "SendQ exceeded", is also as it sounds, when the SendQ fills up, to its limit.

The server can only flush this queue as fast as the connection to the clinet permits, so the only real remidy, is to have a faster connection, with reduced latency (the time it takes to send a ping).
F
Freeman
Voice

Post by Freeman »

k...thanks very much for the input ppslim.

I find I am able to successfully join my Eggy durring less traffic hours after serveral hours of hammering the chan. hehe
F
Freeman
Voice

Post by Freeman »

Ok...also a way around it Server side. You can have Network Admins up the sendq limit for the network. :wink:
e
egghead
Master

Post by egghead »

It is amazing that these channels can be joined easily with a client like mIRC and that eggdrop gets this kind of disconnects.

Just a thought, perhaps it can be an option in the future to have the bot running based on USERHOST instead of WHO with a threshold when to use one of them.
For example, if the threshold is 50: use WHO on channels of 50 users or less and NAMES and a timed use of USERHOST on channels with more than 50 users. (Assuming the number of users is known upon joining a channel through a raw 353).

By setting that threshold to 0, this may (?) also solve problems on IRCD's with a non rfc1459 WHO behaviour.