This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

hm.. administration problem

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
K
Kush

hm.. administration problem

Post by Kush »

Ive installed eggdrop under root, under the directory $home. But as you might know so cant you start eggdrop as root. So i have created a new user, but it cant access to root´s home.. Is there anyway to make this work.. I dont realy you can just cp all files into another directory.. Or what shall I do?
K
Kush

Post by Kush »

hm.. or eggdrop is installed under /root/eggdrop

And I cant access that under a normal user... and if i switch to su mode so cant it be executed.. because eggdrop can not run under root
K
Kush

Post by Kush »

Plz could anyone help me``?
v
vince
Voice

Change install directory

Post by vince »

Install your eggdrop in the user directory not in root

./install /home/youruser

Ciao

Vince
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

My guess is, you are very new to *nix, and just don't have a clue, regarding the dangers of root access.

Never use root, unless the command you are using needs it, and in that use, use su.

You will have to download, compile, install and run, all using the new user.

The existing copy, has all the permissions of the root user, and not of the one, you wish to use.

Rather that go through a very rough process, of not knowing what you are doing, it's easy for you to start from scratch.
K
Kush

Post by Kush »

Yes, I am a bit new to *nix.. But I've installed it again under /home/somedir and it worked fine.. But thanks for your information