This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

n00b @ work

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
M
Massacre
Voice

n00b @ work

Post by Massacre »

Ok, so i'm very new to TCL, infact only decided I needed to learn it about an hour ago. My problem is this:
I have found some cheap, reliable eggdrop shell hosting and I'd like to use it to make a bot that replies to certain msgs in a channel. However, I do not need a full-scale, opper/chan saver bot as I already have one, just a couple of scripts that can ping servers and stuff.

From what i've seen, any extra scripts people want are just added to the eggdrop ini/config file and then the bot is rehashed and voila, ur script works. Since I don't want an entire bot, just some scripts that execute when triggered (eg, the serverstats script is activated by someone saying !ms in our clan channel) does anyone know how I would go about doing this?

I'd be very greatful for any help, even the tinyest bit as I'm totally lost as to how it all works (well im assuming the eggdrop runs through all add-on scripts like mIRC would).
user

Re: n00b @ work

Post by user »

I think you would benefit from reading http://www.egghelp.org/whatis.htm
M
Massacre
Voice

Post by Massacre »

what i want to know is can i build something that doesn't include all the opping bits and stuff or is there anyway to just disable it all cause i don't need it (don't wont ppl registering and stuff either)... the space im using supports eggdrops only.

Something that basically only calls my TCL scripts when there's chan activity.
user

Post by user »

You can configure your eggdrop to just sit on the channel and do none of the things it was designed to do. Adding users is up to you...if you don't want any users, just don't add them. (make shure you set "learn-users" to 0 etc. in you config)

The fastest way to "disable" all of eggdrop's channel protection features is by not oping the bot in any channels.
Massacre wrote: Something that basically only calls my TCL scripts when there's chan activity.
I'm not shure I understand what you mean...you said you wanted a bot that replies to messages. I can't imagine such a script being called when there's no activity :P
M
Massacre
Voice

Post by Massacre »

ok, well thnx for the info about disabling the stuff. What i was intending to do was make some TCL scripts that the eggdrop can run to respond to things like !ms (ping our gameserver) and stuff but without trying to do the stuff a bot normally does (op etc) cause we've already got a network bot on our channels. If i can disable all the extra stuff so that just my scripts are working that will be fine. thnx
F
Freeman
Voice

Post by Freeman »

Yes you can disable all chan protection, oping and stuff.
I have a bot that jus autolimit. One that jus searches. one that jus announce. :wink:
M
Massacre
Voice

Post by Massacre »

k, thnx very much. sorry for the n00bishness :p If there wasn't so many thousands of pages on everything on the web I'd have tried to find out myself.