This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Many users same hostmask, ident problem

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
Wolfe
Voice

Many users same hostmask, ident problem

Post by Wolfe »

RE: irc.indymedia.org

SSL users end up with the host mask *!*irc@127.0.0.* on the eggdrop userfile

The problem is that they then all get recognized as the first user with that hostmask.

I have tried to set as the default flag for new users as "c" to solve this with no avail.

Other default flags being used are gfpxv

Is there a direct tcl script i can use that forces the bot to delete the hostmask from the userfile, and simply not need it , and ident from nick?

I look through the archieve and new scripts, found nothing to do this.

I have even edited the userfile manually to change the hostmasks to *!*@255.255.1, 2,3,4,5 etc but the bot just resets it back anyway.
Wolfe
U
U
Voice

Post by U »

Try stopping the bot, then changing the setting. If you change the setting then /rehash, the bot will overwrite with what it has in memory.
U
irc.foreverchat.net Founder
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

Please do a .help rehash dude.
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
Wolfe
Voice

Post by Wolfe »

Actually I restarted from scratch totally deleted the eggdrop folder, set up the changes, and ./configure from shell.

Same problem.
Wolfe
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

On what irc server (name and version) are you encounting this problem?
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
Wolfe
Voice

Post by Wolfe »

irc.indmedia.org

(main channel #underground)
Wolfe
Wolfe
Voice

Post by Wolfe »

crap... that should have been indymedia.org

sorry
Wolfe
c
corax

Post by corax »

The only "problem" here is that SSL does not behave the way eggdrop expects. AFAIK there is no way to obtain a SSL user's true ident, unless you have root priviledge on the server.

The whole purpose of SSL is to give the client and server a very secure means of communication. The protocol doesn't demand it, but my take on SSL (I am certainly no expert) is that no way is the server going to compromise that security by handing out a client's true ident -- not, that is, in any decent implementation of SSL. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, the user is logged on to the server's localhost.

I didn't even know there were any SSL-enabled irc applications, client or server. What are these people using to join the server?

Of course a +c user flag isn't going to help you sort out the true idents of these people. Read .help common.

Probably you don't want your new users to default to having partyline access (+p) either -- for that matter, I wouldn't give a new user +fv, but that might be just me.
Wolfe
Voice

Post by Wolfe »

I think I may have helped myself...

The script called automatic has lines in it for users with hostmask containing the characters "?" and "*" I altered these to include "irc" and "127.0.0" which is the case for indymedia's ssl connection.. we'll see if that does the job.

:)
Wolfe