This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC Chat not working

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
s
smeg

DCC Chat not working

Post by smeg »

I've been happily running my bot for some time now, with no problems.

Recently I tried to initiate a DCC Chat with the bot, and didn't get any response.

I manually SSH'd to the shell, and made sure my hostmask was correct, and still no joy.

The only thing that has changed is that my host installed a firewall, but the bot is running fine, and I made an ammendment to this:
# If you have a NAT firewall (you box has an IP in one of the following
# ranges: 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255, 172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255,
# 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 and your firewall transparently changes your
# address to a unique address for your box) or you have IP masquerading
# between you and the rest of the world, and /dcc chat,/ctcp chat or
# userfile sharing aren't working, enter your outside IP here. Do not
# enter anything for my-ip or my-hostname if you use this setting.
set nat-ip "127.0.0.1"
so it had th correct IP.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is driving me mad! :evil:
gumbydammit
Master

Post by gumbydammit »

well you should read what you pasted more closely.. it says to set your outside ip for nat-ip.... you set localhost.
a.k.a. hellios
s
smeg

Post by smeg »

gumbydammit wrote:well you should read what you pasted more closely.. it says to set your outside ip for nat-ip.... you set localhost.
I did use the outside IP, I just didn't include it in the post here, I should have made that clearer! Sorry!
gumbydammit
Master

Post by gumbydammit »

well if you are on NAT.. and trying to dcc chat it from the same box the bot runs on.. Then telnet is your best friend....
a.k.a. hellios
E
EppO

Post by EppO »

gumbydammit wrote:well if you are on NAT.. and trying to dcc chat it from the same box the bot runs on.. Then telnet is your best friend....
That's mean that if you are behind your NAT box and the egg on that NAT box, you can't DCC Chat ??
That's annoying...
is there a solution except dawn telnet ?
r
rolandguy
Voice

Post by rolandguy »

if both you and your bot are behind the same NAT, you would use the internal IP to dcc chat. what's happening is you are connecting to an external IRC server, so sending your external IP in the dcc request. but you are not external to the bot...

roland
E
EppO

Post by EppO »

rolandguy wrote:if both you and your bot are behind the same NAT, you would use the internal IP to dcc chat. what's happening is you are connecting to an external IRC server, so sending your external IP in the dcc request. but you are not external to the bot...

roland
yes but there's a connection track module in linux kernel which let use ftp and irc connection through NAT box. Doesn't work ?
]Kami[
Owner

Post by ]Kami[ »

I haid nearly same problem.. I alway chat with egg, so i click icon in script for DCCchat and then i put nick in and the chan, now my bot arent responding (This is about 2 weeks), and im useing command /ctcp botnick chat.

Greetings :)
r
rolandguy
Voice

Post by rolandguy »

yes but there's a connection track module in linux kernel which let use ftp and irc connection through NAT box. Doesn't work ?
let me make sure we're on the same page here :/ I get confused easy ;)

|IRC server|
|
|________|NAT BOX|
/\
/ \
|mIRC|__/ \__|Egg|

mIRC client machine and Egg are both behind NAT, seperate machines? Then would beed to send a modified DCC Chat request, using the internal IP of the mIRC client machine. that way, the egg knows not to try to connect to the NAT itself, which is the only computer in of the network that actually has that external IP.

*scratches head....* I think that's what you're question was lol :)

roland
E
EppO

I explain better

Post by EppO »

|IRC server|
|
|________|NAT BOX|---|EggDrop on Nat Box|
\
\
|Me with mIRC|

It s the exact archi that I use. A eggdrop (1.6.15) is running on my NAT box (Debian).
And when I am behind my NAT Box or behind another NAT (at my office for example), it's the same problem:

Code: Select all

In logs: 
[01:14] DCC connection: CHAT (Me!~me@myip.com)
[01:14] net: connect! sock 9
[01:14] net: eof!(read) socket 9
[01:14] Lost dcc connection to Me (~eppo@myip.com/4026)
But when I am on a remote computer (a NAT box for example), it works, i access to the party line
r
rolandguy
Voice

Post by rolandguy »

ahh, k, I follow then...try this from behind your NAT:

/quote PRIVMSG botnick :\1DCC CHAT chat 192.xx.xx.xx 6661\1

where 192.xx.xx.xx is your *internal* NAT IP ( the \1 is ascii character 0x001...^A I think in mIRC?)

let me know it it works...have a few other tricks lol

roland
E
EppO

Post by EppO »

rolandguy wrote:ahh, k, I follow then...try this from behind your NAT:

where 192.xx.xx.xx is your *internal* NAT IP ( the \1 is ascii character 0x001...^A I think in mIRC?)

roland
No, nice try but it doesn't work. mirc send my external address IP for the dcc chat. no way to put my internal IP on the fly...

But I think (I hope...) the solution is in eggdrop side, not mirc.
Dedan
Master

Post by Dedan »

Maybe you need to do some port forwarding
I once was an intelligent young man, now i am old and i can not remember who i was.
r
rolandguy
Voice

Post by rolandguy »

EppO wrote:
rolandguy wrote:ahh, k, I follow then...try this from behind your NAT:

roland
No, nice try but it doesn't work. mirc send my external address IP for the dcc chat. no way to put my internal IP on the fly...

But I think (I hope...) the solution is in eggdrop side, not mirc.
that's what I'm saying, mIRC is sending your external IP. you will *have* to send the dcc request manually using your internal IP - mIRC has no way of knowing that the bot is on the same side of the NAT as you, and neither does the bot, because the message you are sending it is coming from outside the NAT (the chat server).

did you even try it?

roland
E
EppO

How do i do ?

Post by EppO »

I don't understand exactly why it doesn't work. I forward a range of ports to my PC (where mirc is running). So when a DCC Chat is requested, the request if forwarded to mirc (it works when the bot is on a remote computer not in the same NAT). And it doesn't work... But when I send a DCC Chat request, i send the IP i used to connect IRC Server, don't I ? So it's should be my external IP (when i whois me, i see my external IP).

Whatever, I would like to send my internal IP in DCC Chat but i didn't find how to do it.