This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC Chat not working

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
r
rolandguy
Voice

Post by rolandguy »

syntax for DCC chat request:

Code: Select all

PRIVMSG <target nick> :\1DCC CHAT chat <IP> <port>\1
where:
<IP> is the IP address you request that the target connect to
<port> is the port that they should connect to.

DCC requests are set up for the security of the user who is being asked to connect. the actuall connection is opened by the target, not the person requesting. the protocol requires that the target open a connection with that designated port at that designated IP, if the request is accepted. because of the way NAT firewalls work, when the bot tries to open a connection to your external IP from inside, it fails.

basicly, DCC chat requests are just CTCP requests...and CTCP messages are just PRIVMSG (/msg)...mIRC and other clients just use the \1 character to signal a special meaning.

one good way to lear about how to form a DCC request (and be able to copy and paste it with the internal IP) is by using a debug window in mIRC.

/debug -np @moo

this gives you a raw view of all input and output for mIRC.

hope this helps make some sense of it all :)

roland
E
EppO

it s getting hard

Post by EppO »

Well, it try what you said. But <IP> is not a dotted ip address format, but a long ip address. So I write a small program to convert my internal ip address in long format (it's the inverse dotted ip address ie with 214.135.212.65 you need to convert 65.212.135.214...).
I can see in logs that dns resolve well the long ip address in the correct dotted ip one. But it doesn't work anymore...

I am getting crazy...
r
rolandguy
Voice

Post by rolandguy »

ahh, damn, sorry about that...I've been basing making requests on a script I wrote that hooks up an eggdrop to a Services DCC connection...and eggy is listenening on the port :/

ok, try 2 :)
disconnect from the chat server. in mIRC, go to:
options->Conenct->Local Info

set localhost and IP address to your *internal* IP. UNCHECK the boxes for "On connect, always get:"

only problem with doing it this way is that you will be unable to DCC anyone else untill you log off, re-check the boxes, but will atleast get you a DCC connection...

what NAT software are you using? there might be an easier way, but really depends on what options are available on the NAT...

roland
E
EppO

Yes it works

Post by EppO »

good idea ! I would have never tought to do that.
It's works well, when I am home. But at school, I am behind a NAT too, and it will not work... anyway, great job :wink: and thx you a lot.