This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

How do Vhost work?

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
h
henry

How do Vhost work?

Post by henry »

Hello, I search in Yahoo for vhost
but i got back tons of isps and webhosting companies offering services

can anyone tell me how it works?
how do i set it up?
can i setup a vhost with a dynamic ip ?

thanks very much !! :lol:
CrazyCat
Revered One

Post by CrazyCat »

Well, you have two big kinds of vhosts:
- setted via a bouncer
- setted via irc server.
Bouncer
It's a gateway owned by someone wich allow you to connect to your irc server using its vhost .
Usually, a shell provider could furnish bouncer and howto
IRC Server
Some services contains a hostserv (epona, anope, neostats, ...) wich allow you to use a +x flag.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Not true.

A v-host is actualy just a different name for an alias.

Aliases, just like with peoples names, are not the machines true name, but can be used to refer to it.

They work by setting both Forward and reverse DNS details for 1 specific IP and a sub-domain.

It is possible to do this with dynamic IPs, however, in 99.9999% of cases you can't.

Dynamic IPs are dynamic due to the fact that a ISP can't provide enough IPs for one per customer. Thus they have a pool smaller than there userbase which are randomly shared out. Remember, not all users will be connected to the ISP at the same time.

In most cases, your ISP controls the Reverse DNS information for the IP you are assigned, thus you can't change it. You would need to have authorisation to have a static IP and have rDNS control.

Provided you have access to a domain, and your registrar provide good DNS managment, you can control the forward DNS address without issue.