This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Trying to find a good shell (Newbie)

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
f
flacus

Trying to find a good shell (Newbie)

Post by flacus »

Saw alot of comercial shells, dunno which one suits for me.
I need to put a bot which will be on a chan and guard a chan.
Nothing to download or upload...
I would like to have a possibility to dcc on bot, be on the bot and doing regular commands....
putting users, baning, guard topic etc...

so what do i need?

p.s. if uptime is how long will bot be on the net, then it should be 99% or more...
it would be great if it isn't expensive than 5$ a month...

thank you in advanced!

flacus
YooHoo
Owner

Post by YooHoo »

read previous postings or pick one yourself.

http://www.egghelp.org/shells.htm
M
Moonster
Halfop

Post by Moonster »

There are shell review sites out there but another good way is word of mouth. If you happen to know people that run eggdrops on Commercial Shells you can ask them.

A little bit of research can go a long way.
"Knowledge is Power"
BeastNH/Moonster on Undernet/EFnet IRC Network
f
flacus

Post by flacus »

i' ve read previous postings...but everyone needs something that i don'r....
i don't need xdcc, don't need upload downlload....
dunno do i need bandwith for just a guarding bot....

seen that list, but it doesn't help....:/

help?
M
Moonster
Halfop

Post by Moonster »

Most commercial Providers dont allow XDCC bots anyway or even Emechs for that matter..... So most of the ones in the list on Egghelp are good ... just which gives you more bang for the buck.
"Knowledge is Power"
BeastNH/Moonster on Undernet/EFnet IRC Network
}
}eXtreme{
Voice

Post by }eXtreme{ »

Don't forget to mail choosen shell providers if their server could connect on choosen network. Many of them are k-lined on some biggest networks. Especially IRCnet..
z
z0rQuE

Post by z0rQuE »

}
}eXtreme{
Voice

Post by }eXtreme{ »

Hmm.. are you sure?

• Do you offer vHosts ?
At this moment we don't have any public vHosts. However you can make your own vHosts. You will need your own domain, or you can use the public domains of afraid.org's free service. You also need a dedicated IP for each vHost. If your package doesn't include a dedicated IP you can buy one for $1.00/month. If you buy more than 32 IP's the monthly fee is $0.75/IP. We cannot give any extra free IP's since IP's are really expensive these days because of the small amount of available IP's left.

http://www.pixelshells.net/faq.php

That probably isn't best irc shell solution... try found better service!
A
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

I was with pixelshells, I got an email that they'll no longer offer ircd and shell services. :( now am left without ircd services.
I run a small 3d graphics site and just need irc for my members to interact and do tutorials. There's never more than 15 people in the channels at any time. So I guess am also looking for an ircd provider.
K
KevKev
Halfop

Post by KevKev »

Avalon wrote:I was with pixelshells, I got an email that they'll no longer offer ircd and shell services. :( now am left without ircd services.
I run a small 3d graphics site and just need irc for my members to interact and do tutorials. There's never more than 15 people in the channels at any time. So I guess am also looking for an ircd provider.
Why do you need your own IRCD? simply find a small, stable server and setup your channel there :) (irc.associatedpowers.com shameless plug :) )
p
pending

Post by pending »

Being a newbie myself I had the same questions about shells. I started with acmeshells (still at acmeshells) It was my first shell. now I have 4 accounts with them :) I don't know how they compare with everyone else but I love em *kiss* :wink: