This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Nick/HandleLen

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
n
nago
Voice

Nick/HandleLen

Post by nago »

perhaps a very easy question, mayhaps not.

On the older versions of eggdrop (1.6.16 and below?)
You could change eggdrop.h at..

#define HANDLEN 9 /* valid values 9->NICKMAX */
#define NICKMAX 32 /* valid values HANDLEN->32 */

to change what it recognized as valid handles so it wouldn't truncate the bots name on the botnet if you're using net-type 5 that supported any length over nine.

even if you set it to thirty, the native seen script would truncate things past nine and the botnet also.

So you could edit that.

In newer versions (1.6.17) changing this no longer affected the seen module (or that's how it seems with me)

And now in 1.6.18 changing that no longer affected the Botnet Nick, and I am getting handle length errors inbetween newer and older bots.

Is there a more proper fix for what I am trying to accomplish or what else should I edit to Change this in newer versions of eggdrop?

Thanks,
-Nago
n
nago
Voice

Post by nago »

Not answerable or am I in the wrong category?

:'( <-- he's crying that eggdrop cry.
g
greenbear
Owner

Post by greenbear »

Try the search, it's been answered like 3 gazillion times before.
n
nago
Voice

Post by nago »

..I did search for it. I only found references to editing that same line in eggdrop.h that I've already mentioned. I changed it. I recompiled. In the newest version it didn't have the same effect.

It STILL truncates at nine, even if I change it. this has worked in every version but 1.6.18- I was curious as to if something code-wise had changed or if there was something else to edit.

Please point me to a post where this has been answered, I'm sorry but I can't find the solution. I don't know what exactly I should be searching for. "Nick Length" or "Handle Length" seem to be fruitless searches for this instance.
d
dollar
Op

Post by dollar »

Nevermind, I'm blind :x
dollar (or something similar) at:
#eggdrop / #tcl - undernet
#egghelp / #tcl / #eggtcl - efnet
#eggdrop.support / #tcl - quakenet
#eggdrop - ircnet
n
nago
Voice

Post by nago »

Me too, as it seems ;)

(Does anyone else have this problem? Or is able to re-create it? It might be a bug seeing as I did get this version from CVS- 1.6.18+cleanup.)
And here's the cancel button, in case you don't want toast.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Try a search for the gseen module you edit gseen.c to change handle lengths. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
n
nago
Voice

Post by nago »

That'd solve one thing I didn't know. I still can't get the handle lengths on the botnet to be any longer than 9 in 1.6.18 though. I think I'll just give up and use an older package, this is not worth the hassle.
O
Ofloo
Owner

Post by Ofloo »

maybe u can set it in the make file check never know or do ./configure --help to see if they didn't add it there.. and .. maybe u don't need to set it maybe it is defined in config file cause i do remember there being sutch an option allready < these are maybes eh not real answers but never know
XplaiN but think of me as stupid
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

All bots on a botnet have to be recompiled with the new value you set for HANDLEN in eggdrop.h.

Each config file for each bot has to have set nick-len changed from the default 9 to match your new value in eggdrop.h ie: if you define HANDLEN 32 then change set nick-len to 32.
Search | FAQ | RTM
n
nago
Voice

Post by nago »

I'm aware of this. I have a couple that are set to 30 for both nick and handle length. This new bot is the only one I can't get to accept that value, and is currently unlinked to the rest of the net.

(They wont even link otherwise, correct?)

I honestly don't know why I can't get it to compile thinking handle length is 30 on the newer version, so I'm pretty sure im going to cave and go back a version. Maybe it's some weird glitch for the system I'm using it on, or maybe I'm just HORRIBLY retarded and missing something painfully obvious...
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

If HANDLEN does not match in each bot then they will not connect.
Search | FAQ | RTM
n
nago
Voice

Post by nago »

As thought.

A thought that occurs though, is that the bots in the botnet are all linked to different servers, but all of which have a nickmax of 30.

This is the second one I've connected to Efnet,

(but maybe I messed the conf up for the first efnet one)

but if net type is set to 0, will the max of 9 override the source changes in eggdrop.h?