This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Forum upgrade complete

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
slennox
Owner

Forum upgrade complete

Post by slennox »

Mmph. I don't think I've ever had a phpBB reinstallation/upgrade go as planned :-? Anyway, the user forum has now been upgraded to the latest version with the default green theme installed (though a few colour tweaks are still to be done). The ability to search for posts by user should now be working again. Modifications, such as the setting that allows you to choose whether to see avatars in topics, will be restored in the next few days. Reinstallation of alternate styles/templates/themes will follow. A mod that allows moderators to merge posts will also be installed.

Please let me know if you experience any problems.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

is it just me or avatars really don't show up?
arcane
Master

Post by arcane »

i can see avatars
aVote page back online!
Check out the most popular voting script for eggdrop bots.

Join the metal tavern!
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

Well, you can now :mrgreen:

Originally I neglected to backup the avatars directory; something I'd completely overlooked. When I asked my hosting provider to restore this directory from a backup that was a few days old, they accidentally restored the whole site, eliminating forum upgrade I'd just done. This was the cause of the second downtime. Anyway, at least it brought the precious avatars back, and gave me the chance to do a cleaner forum reinstall. I encourage you to keep a local copy of your avatar if it is important to you.

Current upgrade status: I've restored all the previous styles/themes except phpVB2. Since template caching directories are no longer placed in each template directory, it's no longer tedious to install / update themes. The current ones date back years; if anyone has any suggestions for newer themes just let me know and I'll consider it (EDIT: forget about it, too many potential issues with mods that alter the templates :P). A few mods have also been reinstalled with several more to go. Some of you might find this page interesting/useful.

Let me know if you notice any problems (except for intermittent stuff caused by my fiddling).
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

That portal looks nice. You want to change your webby with it or something? :shock:
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

Not quite. I installed that for the sole purpose of generating the two forum-related numbers on the top right-hand corner of the home page. The portal thing is just a bonus :-)

Current upgrade status:

I've installed all mods now, with the exception of the requested merge posts mod which I will have a look at in the next few days.

I don't know what, but something is causing the topic review to appear at the top when replying to a post, at least with the default subGreen theme. I may not get time to fully investigate and fix this today, so please bear with it for now. EDIT: Problem has been fixed.
user

Post by user »

I love the new junk yard button :twisted:
Have you ever read "The Manual"?
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

Nice.. nice.. :P I'm loving it! :)
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

demond wrote:is it just me or avatars really don't show up?
I can't get mine uploaded at all. :(

And if I try to upload from my HDD I get all kinds of errors. Oh well! LOL
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
P
PLUGGER
Voice

Post by PLUGGER »

slennox wrote:
Current upgrade status: I've restored all the previous styles/themes except phpVB2. Since template caching directories are no longer placed in each template directory, it's no longer tedious to install / update themes. The current ones date back years; if anyone has any suggestions for newer themes just let me know and I'll consider it

i have lots of themes for phpbb

see test site setup to display them, just gives you an idea of what they look like for real...

http://snakehouse.no-ip.info/styletestphpBB2/index.php
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

Alchera, I've fixed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Plugger, you omitted my edit from your quote :? New styles are deceptively easy to add, but many mods require editing of the templates, usually manual because the templates code differs from the default. That solves the mystery as to why many forums are modded yet offer only one theme. It was taking long enough just to edit FI Onefour to make mods work in it, which is why I removed Chronicles and icicle.
]Kami[
Owner

Post by ]Kami[ »

Sounds nice :) Today i just read about virus which exploits forums with older versions then 2.0.11 itself....
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

I've installed the topic merge mod for moderators and it seems to be working fine under all three themes. Note that the "Select" button is slightly confusing in that it returns a message telling you it found no results. What you have to do on this page is select the forum from the list at the top right-hand corner. Then it will display a list of topics.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

]Kami[ wrote:Today i just read about virus which exploits forums with older versions then 2.0.11 itself....
There was an episode of Married With Children in which every woman on the street was peeped by a pervert. Except Peg Bundy. She became really upset, wanting to know why everyone else got peeped but not her. That's how I feel about not being exploited :(
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

slennox wrote:Alchera, I've fixed it. Thanks for letting me know.
* Alchera is a happy little pumpkin :lol:
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM