This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Forum archive, login required to view profiles

Website and forum-related announcements and discussion, and anything else that doesn't fit in the above forums.
slennox
Owner

Forum archive, login required to view profiles

Post by slennox »

Two things:

1. I've created an Archive forum for old topics. The first reason is to prevent the occasional annoyance of users replying to ancient posts. The second is to eliminate the excess baggage to prepare for indexing by search engines like Google (up to now, the forum has blocked spiders) by hiding the thousands of old topics from unregistered users. The main downside of the archive is the loss of categorisation for topics that get moved there, but I'm not sure how much that matters given their age. So far I've put everything older than two years there, but I'd like to move everything older than one year as well. Any objections to the loss of categorisation of posts younger than two years but older than a year?

2. The memberlist and user profiles are no longer viewable by guests, so if you want to view the memberlist or a user's profile, you'll need to log in first.
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

1.: Hmm, will it really save that much? spiders searching the whole side will still request an index for the archieve, won't they?
besides of that, its your webspace, your traffic so it will be your rules :).

2.: I am logged in always anyway, so it won't bother be :D
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

What's best for the forum is good by me, I find no problem with archiving old topics.
user

Post by user »

De Kus wrote:1.: Hmm, will it really save that much? spiders searching the whole side will still request an index for the archieve, won't they?
http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html
Have you ever read "The Manual"?
Linux
Halfop

Re: Forum archive, login required to view profiles

Post by Linux »

slennox wrote:Two things:

1. I've created an Archive forum for old topics. The first reason is to prevent the occasional annoyance of users replying to ancient posts. The second is to eliminate the excess baggage to prepare for indexing by search engines like Google (up to now, the forum has blocked spiders) by hiding the thousands of old topics from unregistered users. The main downside of the archive is the loss of categorisation for topics that get moved there, but I'm not sure how much that matters given their age. So far I've put everything older than two years there, but I'd like to move everything older than one year as well. Any objections to the loss of categorisation of posts younger than two years but older than a year?

2. The memberlist and user profiles are no longer viewable by guests, so if you want to view the memberlist or a user's profile, you'll need to log in first.
1. No objections, i appreciate the work you've done :)

2. My usename is auto-login, so i'm always logged whenever i visit the site, is there any good reason behind for this ? i mean, if guests view the the users profile so i dont think that they can harm/bother us.

-REGARDS-
I'm an idiot, At least this one [bug] took about 5 minutes to find...
^DooM^
Owner

Post by ^DooM^ »

Great site slennox indeed and I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are greatful for all the time, effort and money you have put into this great resource over the years.

The archive is a good idea imo and I personally have no problem with putting posts older than a year in there too.

long live egghelp and all who sail err.. post on it :wink:
The lifecycle of a noob is complex. Fledgling noobs gestate inside biometric pods. Once a budding noob has matured thru gestation they climb out of their pod, sit down at a PC, ask a bunch of questions that are clearly in the FAQ, The Noob is born
caesar
Mint Rubber

Post by caesar »

I see that some posts have vanished.. :shock: .. anyway, fine with me, sounds good. :)
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

The "time warp" announcement explains why some posts are missing. If there are posts made before 20 March or after the forum returned that have disappeared, then something odd is going on, so please let me know.