This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Server says my nickname is invalid

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
d
daltanius
Voice

Server says my nickname is invalid

Post by daltanius »

Hi all,
i want that mine eggdrops join on us.ircnet.org and ircnet.choopa.net with UID nick.
On my config file i have set: set nick "0" .
Eggdrop don't join on irc and i have received from servers these message:

Connected to ircnet.choopa.net
Server says my nickname is invalid.

Connected to us.ircnet.org
Server says my nickname is invalid.

What i must do?

Thx
Daltanius
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

you've been running eggdrop for 2 years now yet you don't know that nicknames cannot start with a digit?
d
daltanius
Voice

Post by daltanius »

if you want a UID nick on irc you must do : /nick 0

example
/nick 0
Your nick is now 380AAJGS5

i want that eggdrop auto get UID nick on us.ircnet.org and ircnet.choopa.net

Ps: on *.De servers i have set nick 0 on config file and work good.. eggdrop auto get UID nick
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

another weird IRCnet feature? or rather german-only IRCnet feature, since you can only use this on *.de servers? I don't follow IRCnet development so we'll have to wait for some of our heavy-duty IRCnet users to comment on that

I can't believe they did that, it really looks Unreal-ish
KrzychuG
Master

Post by KrzychuG »

demond wrote:another weird IRCnet feature? or rather german-only IRCnet feature, since you can only use this on *.de servers? I don't follow IRCnet development so we'll have to wait for some of our heavy-duty IRCnet users to comment on that
That's not true. UIDs work in whole IRCnet and Eggdrop doesn't have any problems with it. It seems that those 2 servers are currently broken. You won't connect even with regular client if you set nick to 0, however you can change your nick to UID later without any problems.

You have 2 options: use another server (open.pl.ircnet.net works fine and is also opened for foreign connections) or set normal nickname and change it to UID when bot connect to server (using init-server procedure)

Code: Select all

bind evnt - init-server onconnect
proc onconnect { blah } {
  set nick 0
}
Que?
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

hah it looks like they've had that for some time now; from irc2.11 ChangeLog:

2002-11-25  Jakub Vlasek

* s_user.c/m_nick(): Allow user to set his nick to UID by specifying
          nick 0 or his own UID.
that they use UIDs I can understand, most modern ircds use UIDs internally for client tracking (since the UID doesn't change in client's lifetime, therefore nick chasing is no longer an issue); but why do they allow UIDs to be used externally as nicks is beyond me... seems irrational and like a present for spammers and drone monkeys who now can generate random nicks without actually trying!
KrzychuG
Master

Post by KrzychuG »

demond wrote:that they use UIDs I can understand, most modern ircds use UIDs internally for client tracking (since the UID doesn't change in client's lifetime, therefore nick chasing is no longer an issue); but why do they allow UIDs to be used externally as nicks is beyond me... seems irrational and like a present for spammers and drone monkeys who now can generate random nicks without actually trying!
It's nick collision protection. Previously collided user was disconnected from server. Now that user change his nick to UID. Now much changed in spammers and drones.
Que?
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

okay but that's presumably done automatically by the server itself, isn't it? i.e. when you are to be nick-collided, the server changes your nick to random (UID) instead of disconnecting you; why allow users to do that too? seems irrelevant to the nick collision problem - the server can't wait for you to change your nick/UID by issuing NICK 0 and only then to resolve the collision, right?
KrzychuG
Master

Post by KrzychuG »

demond wrote:okay but that's presumably done automatically by the server itself, isn't it
Yes, it's done automatically.
why allow users to do that too?
Well, why not? I don't see anyting wrong with it.It can be used also as temporary altnick etc. There is same spammers and clones activity as before. Maybe you should ask ircd developers about it.

EDIT:

Final solution:

bind evnt - init-server onconnect 
proc onconnect { blah } { 
  set ::oldnick $::nick 
  set ::nick 0 
} ;# onconnect

bind evnt - disconnect-server ondisconnect 
proc ondisconnect { blah } { 
  set ::nick $::oldnick 
} ;# ondisconnect