This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop SSL Linking

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
p
phyber
Voice

Eggdrop SSL Linking

Post by phyber »

I'm aware of the patch that allows eggdrop to connect to SSL servers, but are there any patches that are able to encrypt links between different eggdrops?

Thanks.
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

I doubt there are any, at least not publicly available

The only purpose of such patch would obviously be to prevent third parties from sniffing and hijacking botnet communications, which only makes sense for takeover botnets, and such botnets are out of fashion these days when virtually all networks run some form of channel services
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
p
phyber
Voice

Post by phyber »

I suppose the only purpose of other encrypted protocols is to stop people being able to watch you stealing credit card details over the Internet?

Thanks for the answer, a simple "no, I don't know of one" would have been sufficient.
rosc2112
Revered One

Post by rosc2112 »

How else do ya expect people to get 3000 posts if not for posting useless sarcastic bullcrap?? c'mon get with the program ;p
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

phyber wrote:I suppose the only purpose of other encrypted protocols is to stop people being able to watch you stealing credit card details over the Internet?
alright, point made; then perhaps you'd care to enlighten us on what you need that for?

if by any chance you are on a huge heterogenous botnet which hubs are run by entities hostile to you, and you simply need to chat with your buddy on the other end, not allowing the hub owners to sniff on you, wouldn't you be using a script, as eggdrop provides you with [encrypt] and [decrypt] commands? not to mention the patch envisioned by you won't serve that purpose as it wouldn't be peer-to-peer encryption since it would have to be deciphered in the hub anyway, for the purpose of proper routing

or maybe it's something else I've overlooked?

just curious
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
p
phyber
Voice

Post by phyber »

I don't need it for anything.

It's like all the other useless stuff I play about with on my eggdrops (all 3 of them, they need to be very secure ;)), just a toy.
I was just interested if it existed so that I could have a play if it did :)
wac
Halfop

Post by wac »

phyber wrote:I don't need it for anything.

It's like all the other useless stuff I play about with on my eggdrops (all 3 of them, they need to be very secure ;)), just a toy.
I was just interested if it existed so that I could have a play if it did :)
If it's just a toy it doesn't need to be secure, what's the point? My guess would be a botnet used for the discussion of illegal activities, but why on eggdrop, you could just as easily setup an ssl ircd which forces all connections to use ssl and then heck, why not talk in fish? If you don't know what fish is, google it. And yes about useless posts to get up to 3k lol he could of simply said it doesn't exist in the public arena, but I do agree such a mod/script would be cool, to mess around with, no reason not to be secure ;) good day ...
I see j00!