This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Hostmask Issue

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
M
Mousee
Voice

Hostmask Issue

Post by Mousee »

I'm not particularly concerned about this, but I thought it'd be nice anyways.
Basically, I run an eggdrop from my home server, and I want it to show a custom hostmask (bot.mydomain.com).

My configuration file is thus:

Code: Select all

set my-hostname "bot.mydomain.com"
set my-ip "192.168.0.100"
Setting my external ip in the 'my-ip' portion returns an error about my telnet port not working, so I just set it to my the local LAN ip instead as it clearly isn't recognizing the external ip.
However, with this setup, or commenting out the 'my-ip' line, my hostmask simply doesn't change.

I've yet to try it, but I'm assuming I need to add my external ip to my server?
Is that the only way to get the 'bot.mydomain.com' hostmask to work?
Currently it just returns my ISP hostmask (blah.whatever-comcast.net).

Thanks for any input :)
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

my-ip must hold an ip-address of a network interface present on the system your eggdrop is running. If you're running it on a system behind a NAT-router, you'll have to use the internal address. If, on the other hand, your system acts as the NAT itself, you should be able to use any external ip used by the system.
Setting my-hostname is just another way of setting my-ip, without having to lookup the ip first. The same restictions apply here aswell.

In the scenario where your system resides behind a NAT-router, you'll have to reconfigure your router to use a different IP on any outbound connection from this system. Information wether your router is capable of this, and how it is done should be available in the documentation of the router.
NML_375
M
Mousee
Voice

Post by Mousee »

nml375 wrote:my-ip must hold an ip-address of a network interface present on the system your eggdrop is running. If you're running it on a system behind a NAT-router, you'll have to use the internal address. If, on the other hand, your system acts as the NAT itself, you should be able to use any external ip used by the system.
Setting my-hostname is just another way of setting my-ip, without having to lookup the ip first. The same restictions apply here aswell.

In the scenario where your system resides behind a NAT-router, you'll have to reconfigure your router to use a different IP on any outbound connection from this system. Information wether your router is capable of this, and how it is done should be available in the documentation of the router.
Okay that's exactly how I thought it worked, I was just hoping it wasn't.
Many thanks :)