This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

eggdrop ssl and inspircd problems

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
C
Chrysalis
Voice

eggdrop ssl and inspircd problems

Post by Chrysalis »

Previously we ran all our bots on unreal ircd with ssl and they were fine, we then changed to inspircd using same connect port and ssl again.

Since changing the 'some' of the bots when joining large channels immediatly disconnect but dont give a disconnect reason it simply disconnects.

[06:42] Disconnected from

the irc quit reason is client closed connection.

So I enabled +d in console to show debug messages and see this.

sockread EAGAIN: 11 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

It shows more then once when it occurs and some bots dont have this problem and are fine, it seems to not occur better on bsd since only 1 freebsd box we have this problem with.

Googling showed up 1 guy been told its a firewall problem in my case it is defenitly not a firewall problem I have root access on the server and the datacentre is not firewalling any traffic to and from the box.

On inspircd some 'old' clients have this problem as well and they all fixed it by upgrading their clients and disabling scanning all the whois on channel join.

I am guessing it might be some dependency eggdrop uses that on the affected boxes is incompatible/old as well as maybe the affected bots scanning all users when joining a channel, they fine when joining small channels although they still get the sockread error but dont disconnect.

Please if anyone else seen this problem and found a resolution I would liek to know thanks. Latest stable version of 1.6 eggdrop and on debian all the affected bots with 1 on freebsd 7.
TCL_no_TK
Owner

Post by TCL_no_TK »

From what i've read an experianced with this type of thing. I can only see two things that could be causing this problem. However, due to me not knowing that much of bsd. I cant say it would have anything to do with this at all. Thou, in saying that it could at least be worth checking out. 1. The /etc/limits.conf file is limiting your access to resources. 2. The server/system was unable to free any sockects to use for the connection. Apart from that, i wish i could be of more help on this. But thats pretty much the only thing i've know to cause a problem like this. Maybe check out a support forum for bsd?
C
Chrysalis
Voice

Post by Chrysalis »

ulimit -a shows everything as unlimited instead of pipe. This is only happening on inspircd, efnet, undernet, unreal and ultimateircd all no problems.
DragnLord
Owner

Post by DragnLord »

have you made sure that openssl on your box is current and recompiled eggdrop?
C
Chrysalis
Voice

Post by Chrysalis »

may have got to the bottom of the disconnect problems it turns out was a bad sendq and buffer setting on inspircd.

the debug messages are still there but for all I know they may have always been there since I only enabled debug when I started investigating this problem. I dont see the messages on boxes I setup myself so there is something wrong locally on the server but I dont know what.

The ssl packages on one of the servers when I checked are the following.

ii libssl-dev 0.9.8c-4 SSL development libraries, header files and
ii libssl0.9.8 0.9.8c-4 SSL shared libraries
ii openssl 0.9.8c-4 Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related

so not latest

but another has

ii libssl-dev 0.9.8g-1 SSL development libraries, header files and
ii libssl0.9.8 0.9.8g-1 SSL shared libraries
ii openssl 0.9.8g-1 Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related

Thanks and recompiled eggdrop on both of them.