This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

trivia cheater stop

Requests for complete scripts or modifications/fixes for scripts you didn't write. Response not guaranteed, and no thread bumping!
t
testebr
Halfop

trivia cheater stop

Post by testebr »

Hi,

In my trivia channel user still using cheater with auto reply. Example:

on *:text:*Wha*is*xxx?*:#:{ msg # sexy }

How to I can prevent it? Any form to encode my question text?
m
metroid
Owner

Post by metroid »

If you "encode" the question then how will the other people read it?

Simply kick the guy using a script.
t
testebr
Halfop

Post by testebr »

no one solution when user select the text to copy but return mixed/strange text?
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

I remember a Trivia script which used to add ctrl-codes and other hidden characters to the questions so cheat scripts don't match them. If adding ctrl-codes is the solution then I can write you a piece of code to do it, if you need some other extra characters then you'll have get me a list of them because I don't know which characters these are.
t
testebr
Halfop

Post by testebr »

hmm, good explain. But, I don't know what is 'ctrl-codes'.

Can you provide me one example?

ps: I'm using this trivia script by souperman.

Thank you!
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

What I meant by ctrl-codes is color (ctrl+k), bold (ctrl+b), underline (ctrl+u)...etc
t
testebr
Halfop

Post by testebr »

dont work because mirc ignore colors, bold, reverse and underline :/

you can tet with my code, just add to remote.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

testebr wrote:dont work because mirc ignore colors, bold, reverse and underline :/
Since when?
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
t
testebr
Halfop

Post by testebr »

in function "on text". See my first por.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

testebr wrote:in function "on text". See my first por.
I think what he meant, is color inside the words, not just at their start/ending boundaries.

Code: Select all

on *:text:*Wha*is*xxx?*:#:{ msg # sexy }
1. What(ctrl+o) is xxx*sexy
2. W(ctrl+o)hat is xxx*sexy

In case 1, the code will msg sexy. The wildcards obscure the control code. Cheater prospers.
In case 2, the code will fail. The wildcards haven't obscured the control code. Cheater is foiled. The control code keeps cheating at bay.

You will need to edit your question files to add these control codes or have the script dynamically insert them into words. If your using color then you may not want to use (ctrl+o) which is plaintext, use ctrl+k your color code instead.

It shouldn't be that hard to edit the script to randomly insert them into the questions before they are asked. It would be as simple as splitting the question into a list using space as the splitter " ", then use a foreach to inject a ctrl+whatever (the control code used should be the same as the question text is currently using so the effect is invisible and seamless) into every word using a random lindex position based on that word's string length, then join this list back into a string for the rest of the script to go with. Sir_Fz has already offered to realize this for you, you would be wise to take him up on his offer.
t
testebr
Halfop

Post by testebr »

Really this idea work fine, but today one friend create this example:

Code: Select all

if (text_here isin $strip($1-)) { /msg $chan say_message }
And kill the solution of Sir_Fz.
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

Then do some research and try to find some characters that won't be seen (Try searching the forum first as this has been discussed before).
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

As well, if people are inclined to cheat, they will find a way to cheat everytime. Rather than adapt to defeat them learn to spot cheaters (your examples show no delay, instant answer in this case = inhuman response == cheater) and ban them from further participation in your trivia, either via the trivia ignore, or via eggdrop internal ignore, or ban them from your channel. Eventually they will get smarter and use randomized timers in the human-response time frame to disguise their scripts (this of course makes it near impossible to spot, but others now have opportunity to also answer making it at least more fair).

When you finally find 'invisible' characters to use, those can be easily mapped out into nulls by cheaters just as easily as you saw $strip() does control characters. The mirc code to do so is really this simple, $strip($remove($1-,%invis_char_1,%invis_char_2,%etc)). You now have both control characters and invisible characters effectively stripped. In the long run your better off removing cheaters from participating entirely than trying to adapt to control them.

Or to be entirely fair to all. When a cheater is spotted, to be nice allow them to remain in the trivia, but as a consequence they have their score set back to 0 (which most trivia scripts allow admins to change scores). This allows cheaters to begin as new joins/nicks and compete further, but constantly is a reminder to all that if detected they will be considered cheaters and 'fined' all their accumulated points. If you have prizes or things of this nature in your trivia contests, this is a valid option as well. Elect a few @op/mods in your channel as trivia guards and this can be your enforcement.
r
rapattack
Voice

Post by rapattack »

I'd like to have a code snippet that inserts controlcodes... :-)