This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

UNOFFICIAL incith-google 2.1x (Nov30,2o12)

Support & discussion of released scripts, and announcements of new releases.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Domin wrote:Well what i ment was the if i set the local switch for wiki to "da" wich is my native language, and then do:
Don't you mean DE?
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

Domin wrote:Well what i ment was the if i set the local switch for wiki to "da" wich is my native language, and then do:

!wiki tcpip

there will be no results, but if i just set it to "en" it will find english descriptions

What i was suggestion was that you couldt use local first and if non is found it will display the english version if that exists.

But i have no idea how big a task this is, it was just a suggestion from my part :wink:
text from irc wrote:<speechles> !w .da tcpip
<sp33chy> Desværre, der var ikke nogen sider der præcist opfyldte dine søgekriterier. Du kan se, om en artikel findes på engelsk

<speechles> !w .da tcp ip
<sp33chy> Undgåelse af datanet-trafikforstoppelse | Datanet-trafikforstoppelse er når netkort, netudstyr eller værters (en. hosts) portkøer bliver fyldt op og normalt "løber over" (datapakkerne tabes, "slettes"). Dette resulterer i forsinkelse og forsinkelsesvariation for forbindelsesorienterede flows (f.eks. tcp), da der først går et lille stykke tid før det "konkluderes" at en given pakke er tabt og en kopi
<sp33chy> genfremsendes. Da kopien bliver sendt et lille stykke senere, er dette ophave til forbindelsesorienterede flows pakkers forsinkelse og forsinkelsesvariation. Undgåelse af datanet-trafikforstoppelse opnås ved at sørge for, at portkøerne forbliver mindre fyldt, midlet over 1 sekund. Dette kaldes Active Queue Management (AQM). Det hjælper ikke at lave ultrako @
<sp33chy> http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undg%C3%A5 ... rstoppelse [1 Redirect(s)]

<speechles> !w .en tcp ip
<sp33chy> Internet protocol suite | The Internet protocol suite is the set of communications protocols that implement the protocol stack on which the Internet and most commercial networks run. It has also been referred to as the TCP/IP protocol suite, which is named after two of the most important protocols in it: the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the Internet Protocol (IP), which were also the first
<sp33chy> two networking protocols defined. Today's IP networking represents a synthesis of two developments that began to evolve in the 1960s and 1970s, namely LANs (Local Area Networks) and the Internet, which, together with the invention of the World Wide Web by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989, have revolutionized computing. The Internet Protocol suite @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite [1
<sp33chy> Redirect(s)]

<speechles> !w .simple tcp ip
<sp33chy> Computer network | A computer network is a group of two or more computers connected to each other. Usually, this means that the speed of the connection is fast - faster than your connection to the Internet. In fact, two computers connected over the Internet is not considered a computer network. Some basic types of computer networks include: A local area network (often called a LAN) connects two or more
<sp33chy> computers in a house or an office.. A corporate network enables communication among various offices of the same organization.. An "internetwork", sometimes called a Wide Area Network (because of the wide distance between networks) connects two or more smaller networks together. The largest internetwork is called the Internet.. C @ http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_network [1 Redirect(s)]
Now what I'm guessing is that the first message given is saying something along the lines of 'sorry, no results. try wikipedia in english'. Problem is even though it's entirely possible to have the bot predict this, it takes entirely too long to be useful or acceptable. The reason is that between typing the trigger !w .da <anything here> and getting your reply involves loading up to 3 pages possibly, and parsing segments from each. Doing this twice in effect would mean 6 pages possibly loaded. This just doesn't make sense, the lag on the bot would be incredible. Instead, I would rather people just do what the message tells them, and after using !wiki .da <anything> and seeing the message, use !wiki .en <anything> to get english results. You do realize the default wiki country you put in the config is only used when people aren't using one on their own.
!wiki <text here> will ALWAYS use the default setting (in your case 'da')
!wiki .en <text here> will ALWAYS use english wikipedia.
Understand?

Important note: simple.wikipedia.org is the simplified english wikipedia. It's what those not native to english should use when trying to translate articles to their mother tongues. See http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe ... h_articles for more information. Use it exactly as I have in the quoted irc text above.

I'll put together some form of documentation to go along with this script shortly that will explain more of the functions and simplify the learning curve immensely... :)

@Alchera, http://da.wikipedia.org & http://de.wikipedia.org
They look vaguely similar, but clearly different. I'm trying to give this script a worldwide audience instead of being english biased... keke ;)
Domin
Halfop

Post by Domin »

Alchera wrote:
Don't you mean DE?
Nae, da as in danish :-)
de is germany, they are close but not the same :wink:
Regards
Domin @ efnet
Domin
Halfop

Post by Domin »

speechles wrote:Instead, I would rather people just do what the message tells them, and after using !wiki .da <anything> and seeing the message, use !wiki .en <anything> to get english results. You do realize the default wiki country you put in the config is only used when people aren't using one on their own.
!wiki <text here> will ALWAYS use the default setting (in your case 'da')
!wiki .en <text here> will ALWAYS use english wikipedia.
Understand?
Thanks i can easily live with that, i must have overlooked that feature, thanks for clearing it up :wink:

Wiki feature on my setup is da as standard and if that dont give anything i will just use !wiki .en stuff 8)
Regards
Domin @ efnet
A
Astur
Voice

Post by Astur »

Hvordan går det? :)
Domin
Halfop

Post by Domin »

Astur wrote:Hvordan går det? :)
Ganske fint tak :-)
og så må vi heller holde med det danske :-P
Regards
Domin @ efnet
A
Astur
Voice

Post by Astur »

Domin wrote:
Astur wrote:Hvordan går det? :)
Ganske fint tak :-)
og så må vi heller holde med det danske :-P
Jeg kommer fra Tyskland :P
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Domin wrote:
Alchera wrote:
Don't you mean DE?
Nae, da as in danish :-)
de is germany, they are close but not the same :wink:
I know Germany is DE, however there is NO reference to a country code of DA (which is why I posted).

internet country codes

I'd suggest you learn your own country code. ;)
Search | FAQ | RTM
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

Alchera wrote:I know Germany is DE, however there is NO reference to a country code of DA (which is why I posted).

internet country codes

I'd suggest you learn your own country code. ;)
Wikipedia is entirely different than what you've shown above. The country codes used aren't appended at the end of the url, but prepended to the beginning.
See here for a list of acceptable wiki country codes. In the table, look specifically at the codes under the wiki colum, these are wiki country codes. Look for #24 in the table as well, the country in question.. heh :wink:
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Then they should conform to the acceptable standards.
Search | FAQ | RTM
Domin
Halfop

Post by Domin »

Alchera wrote:Then they should conform to the acceptable standards.
Correct and yes i know my contry code is DK :wink:
Regards
Domin @ efnet
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Domin wrote:
Alchera wrote:Then they should conform to the acceptable standards.
Correct and yes i know my contry code is DK :wink:
The problem with wiki is that any person can edit any part of it which is why I (and I dare say many others) do not consider it a reliable source. ;)
Search | FAQ | RTM
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

Can the comments in this thread sorta be focused back on the script, not it's sources. Cuz wikipedia is the 2nd or 3rd result for damn near any google search, because of this relevance it was included into the google script. Other additions were added because of similar situations with their high scores on google results (aka very very popular websites).

Also, to use the proper country code would mean owning a shitload of domains across country codes, quite impossible for a non-profit organization to accomplish without major funding. So sub-domains are used instead to help individuals tailor wikipedia to their language of choice. I don't see this as a problem at all. YouTube has used this same subdomain direction ever since google bought them out (try http://youtube.fr and watch it take you to http://fr.youtube.com). I see sub-domain redirecting as the new future of multilingual web design as it doesn't require additional burden of cost to implement...

What I do see as a problem is needlessly bumping this thread (and other threads) just to give some random opinion or fact.. If you aren't posting here for a support issue, then I guess your post is one causing the problem. After awhile you notice it cascades and others begin to contribute fluff. Before you know it the entire thread has meandered down the road of irrelevance and it's entire focus is lost. Alot of support threads I see have had this happen to them sadly. :?
Z
Zircon
Op

Post by Zircon »

The problem with wiki is that any person can edit any part of it which is why I (and I dare say many others) do not consider it a reliable source
lol, waw ! I think you dont know what u r talking about. Make some search before making some statements like this, and u ll find that wikipedia is as accurate as encylopedia britannica ! All the experts say it s a very reliable source !!!!

opss Speechless, i just saw your post after. Didnt mean to add another post that it s not in relation with the support of ur script. But i just jumped on my chair when i read that comment about the possible inaccuracy of wikipedia ! But u r right, let s keep our posts related to the support of the scripts, and who cares about "DE" ??
Last edited by Zircon on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r
rpope904
Voice

incith:google general question

Post by rpope904 »

I am trying to configure it to search google on a specific site for results, the site is forums.x10hosting.com - i've _kinda_ got it to work, but it only returns one result, and displays a sign in link to google... Example below:

[18:25] <&rpope904> !search asp
[18:25] <&x10Helper> Sign in @ https://www.google.com/accounts/Login?c ... ?as_sitese arch=forums.x10hosting.com&hl=en&q=asp&safe=off&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en&hl=en
[18:25] <&x10Helper> http://forums.x10hosting.com/tutorials/ ... t-ssl.html

How can I change this to remove the sign in info, and also maybe display some more results? I am using v1.8.6a and modified the code here to make it search that site only:

"http://www.google.com/search?as_sitesea ... fine_input}"