This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

mobile wireless broadband

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
F
Fiery_WA
Voice

mobile wireless broadband

Post by Fiery_WA »

I am the owner of the eggy, however I am currently on holidays and using my laptop which has mobile wireless broadband connected.

My bot keeps giving me Authentication failed! I have identified then recovered to it yet I still get Authentication failed!. Any ideas as how to fix it would be appreciated
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Fiery_WA wrote:... I have identified then recovered to it yet I still get Authentication failed!
By this you mean using the IDENT/ADDHOST msg command to let your eggdrop recognize you from your new host? If so, have you checked that you didn't unbind (remove) those commands in your config file (removed by default with newer eggies).

Also, I'm not sure what you are referring to by "recovered".. Simply using the IDENT/ADDHOST command (when available) should be enough to grant you dcc partyline access (from where you may further tailor your hostmasks etc.).
NML_375
F
Fiery_WA
Voice

Post by Fiery_WA »

Alright I have set up in my "perform on connect"
/msg <botname> ident <Nick> <Pass> and also
/msg <botname> login <Pass> recover

When I am at home on my broadband my bots recognise me and authenticates me.

On my laptop and using mobile wireless broadband. When I login into a room a do a verify nick I get a response back
User is known in the bot as *

I cannot figure out how to add my new ip without a DCC chat with the bot, which of course I cannot do because Authentication failed!
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Are you using any custom scripts or such?
Generally, the IDENT command is simply used to add NEW hostmasks when your bot does not recognize you, nothing else.
There is no native LOGIN command in eggdrops..

With a standard setup, adding a new hostmask (hostname/ip), would be a simple matter of using the IDENT or ADDHOST msg-commands. Once properly added, dcc should work just fine as long as your irc client is properly setup. If, however, you have removed or replaced these commands, there is no way of "remotely" adding new hostmasks other than through the dcc partyline (unless you have some custom script to provide these functions through other means).

If you still can access the shell where your eggdrop runs, you could of course manually add new hostmasks either by killing, editing your userfile, and starting your bot, or by adding commands such as the one below to your config and rehash your bot:

Code: Select all

setuser <your handle> hosts <nick!user@host for the new connection>
NML_375
F
Fiery_WA
Voice

Post by Fiery_WA »

huh??

One thing I do not want to do is stuff up my home broadband connection with the bot. And atm that is working fine. Its only on this bloody mobile wireless broadband the bot will not authenticate me
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

A few simple questions...
1. Which version of eggdrop are you using?
2. Which scripts and patches (if any) are you using?

Your "perform on connect" script suggests that you are not using a "standard" eggdrop, as there is no need to use IDENT every time you connect - provided you've setup your hostmasks properly.

Furthermore, there is no LOGIN command, and your eggdrop will never expect you to use such a command in order for it to recognize you on irc. The only exception to this would be if you are using some kind of script/patch/module that fundamentally changes this behavior - in which we need to know in order to have any chance of helping you...
NML_375
F
Fiery_WA
Voice

Post by Fiery_WA »

eggdrop.advanced.conf,v 1.52
Script = mIRC

I realise there is no real reason to IDENT to the bot everytime I logon onto IRC, it's just something I have always done, so when I want to DCC with the bot I do not have to login everytime.

And I beg to differ about your opinion of "Furthermore, there is no LOGIN command, and your eggdrop will never expect you to use such a command in order for it to recognize you on irc."

Typically if I leave a chan that I have a bot in I am deauthorised, therefore I need to LOGIN back to the bot i.e. /msg <botname> LOGIN <pass>
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Then let me re-phrase my second question...
2. which scripts and patches, for your eggdrop, not mirc, are you using. That is, what are you using to extend the functions of your eggdrop.

1: Do you mean eggdrop v1.5.2? If so, this version is antique, and there are many, many bugs fixed in the 1.5.x tree since then. I would really suggest you to upgrade.

The fact that you state that you have a LOGIN-command proves the fact that you are using some kind of script to extend the functions of your eggdrop. Please re-read the sentence right after the one you quoted...
... The only exception to this would be if you are using some kind of script/patch/module that fundamentally changes this behavior - in which we need to know in order to have any chance of helping you...
Now, I re-emphasize, without telling us what extensions you are using, we won't be able to help you much further...
NML_375
F
Fiery_WA
Voice

Post by Fiery_WA »

well i would but this is where I turn from being a redhead into a blonde bimbo lolz
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

'k..
Did you compile and install the eggdrop yourself or did you use some premade botpack?
NML_375
F
Fiery_WA
Voice

Post by Fiery_WA »

I had a friend who has since moved overseas and I cannot contact set it up for me
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Ohh, I see...
Usually, IDENT and/or ADDHOST may be used to add new hostmasks to your user record, to let your bot recognize you. Since you were running an IDENT command upon every connect, your bot should already recognize you. As this does not seem to be the matter, it would appear the IDENT command has either been removed or replaced.

There is still the option of editing your user file manually, or adding a line such as below to your config file (as described in an earlier post):

Code: Select all

setuser <your handle> hosts <nick!user@host for the new connection>
Keep in mind that you may have multiple hostmasks registered with your handle at a single time, so this should in no ways interfere with your home connection.

On a side note, I would strongly recommend that you consider upgrading your eggdrop to a more recent version, pref. the 1.6.x tree.
NML_375
C
Callisto
Halfop

Post by Callisto »

Just a thought (please remember its early in the morning and no coffee yet) but why not try telnet and then add the new host to your username?

best regards etc.