This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

How To Use?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
a
acrodave
Voice

How To Use?

Post by acrodave »

I'm an old noob, and learning new things is difficult. This is new. I installed Eggdrop 1.6.19 using a script supplied by my ISP (sh3lls). They supplied a simplified .conf file which I edited for my installation. Eggdrop works. I can access it over Telnet. I added my channel, and MyBot joins just fine. It's the op.

My question is how do I access Eggdrop from IRC? I tried '/msg MyBot help' and get nothing. Should that work? I see the 'help' message on the partyline and in the log. Is it possibly a config problem? I compared my simplified config file with eggdrop.conf that came with the package, but I can't see any problems.

Part 2: I installed the 8ball script from the Archives. It shows up after a rehash. How do I get the script to talk to me in IRC? Nothing I've tried works.

I've spent a few days searching and reading this Forum. It's been interesting, and I've learned a few things, but I 'm still basically lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
n
nml375
Revered One

Re: How To Use?

Post by nml375 »

acrodave wrote:I'm an old noob, and learning new things is difficult. This is new. I installed Eggdrop 1.6.19 using a script supplied by my ISP (sh3lls). They supplied a simplified .conf file which I edited for my installation. Eggdrop works. I can access it over Telnet. I added my channel, and MyBot joins just fine. It's the op.

My question is how do I access Eggdrop from IRC? I tried '/msg MyBot help' and get nothing. Should that work? I see the 'help' message on the partyline and in the log. Is it possibly a config problem? I compared my simplified config file with eggdrop.conf that came with the package, but I can't see any problems.

Part 2: I installed the 8ball script from the Archives. It shows up after a rehash. How do I get the script to talk to me in IRC? Nothing I've tried works.

I've spent a few days searching and reading this Forum. It's been interesting, and I've learned a few things, but I 'm still basically lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Part1:
Could you verify, using the .channel command, that your eggdrop recognizes you on the channel? (.channel lists what your eggdrop "sees" in the channel, and also shows who he thinks everybody is, shown under the column "handle").

Part2:
Have you configured the channel +8ball?
NML_375
H
Hormel Sausage
Voice

Post by Hormel Sausage »

Howdy! I'll give you a few commands for you to use.

While in the channel and using the nickname the bot knows you by, type within the bot: '.adduser yournickname' and it should add your user@host to the bot.

If you want to see what the command triggers are for the tcl scripts you have loaded, in the bot type ".binds pub" or ".binds" for all commands.

Make sure you are '.chattr yournickname +N' for owner. The bot may not see your commands if you have no flags attributed to your user. (Type .help whois in the bot to see what each flag does)

Typing within the bot: '.chaninfo #channel' will tell you what your individual settings are for the channel you specify. To change a setting; '.chanset #channel +/-setting'

Try these commands in the bot:

.uptime
.msg yournick hello!
.say hello, channel!
.stat
.status all
.who
.whoami
a
acrodave
Voice

Post by acrodave »

Part1:
Could you verify, using the .channel command, that your eggdrop recognizes you on the channel? (.channel lists what your eggdrop "sees" in the channel, and also shows who he thinks everybody is, shown under the column "handle").
This command shows everybody. The handle column has an asterisk for each user.
Part2:
Have you configured the channel +8ball?
I don't understand what this means. Sorry. I'm really stupid on this stuff.
a
acrodave
Voice

Post by acrodave »

Hormel Sausage wrote:Howdy! I'll give you a few commands for you to use.

While in the channel and using the nickname the bot knows you by, type within the bot: '.adduser yournickname' and it should add your user@host to the bot.

If you want to see what the command triggers are for the tcl scripts you have loaded, in the bot type ".binds pub" or ".binds" for all commands.

Make sure you are '.chattr yournickname +N' for owner. The bot may not see your commands if you have no flags attributed to your user. (Type .help whois in the bot to see what each flag does)

Typing within the bot: '.chaninfo #channel' will tell you what your individual settings are for the channel you specify. To change a setting; '.chanset #channel +/-setting'

Try these commands in the bot:

.uptime
.msg yournick hello!
.say hello, channel!
.stat
.status all
.who
.whoami
Thanks for all the commands! I haven't tried them all yet, but I will. There's been little time today for anything.

The 'adduser' and 'chattr +N' commands did the trick. The bot now responds to '/msg MyBot help' as expected.

Still no luck with the script tho. The '.binds pub' command says '?8ball'. I had found this in the TCL code the other day and tried it. The 'Hits' column of the '.binds pub' response shows that the trigger is being recognized. So, maybe it's the script's response that isn't getting thru? The script seems to use 'putserv "privmsg $channel :Answer: yes!"' for replies. Could a private message (?) be blocked by a channel setting? I'll work on it. Thanks for your help!
H
Hormel Sausage
Voice

Post by Hormel Sausage »

Like nml375 suggested, you need to set the channel config +8ball.

Type in the bot: ".chanset #yourchannel +8ball"

That should getcha off and running. :)
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

acrodave wrote:
Part1:
This command shows everybody. The handle column has an asterisk for each user.
An asterisk means your bot does not recognizes you. Thus you need to add proper "hostmasks" to your handle (useraccount), so that your bot may know how to identify you. Use the .addhost or .+host for this, see .help addhost and .help +host for detailed info.

I see however, that you added a new user using the .adduser command, which also works, although you end up with two useraccounts, rather than one single. Be advised that the owner-flag (that grants you "all" permissions) is "n", and not "N" (capitalization counts).
NML_375
a
acrodave
Voice

Post by acrodave »

Hormel Sausage wrote:Like nml375 suggested, you need to set the channel config +8ball.

Type in the bot: ".chanset #yourchannel +8ball"

That should getcha off and running. :)
Funny thing, I woke up in the middle of the night suddenly thinking that's what nml375 meant in his post. D'oh! Thanks! Sadly, it still doesn't seem to work.
a
acrodave
Voice

Post by acrodave »

nml375 wrote: An asterisk means your bot does not recognizes you. Thus you need to add proper "hostmasks" to your handle (useraccount), so that your bot may know how to identify you. Use the .addhost or .+host for this, see .help addhost and .help +host for detailed info.

I see however, that you added a new user using the .adduser command, which also works, although you end up with two useraccounts, rather than one single. Be advised that the owner-flag (that grants you "all" permissions) is "n", and not "N" (capitalization counts).
I've read about hostmasks before and was thoroughly confused. I'll check it out again. Thanks!

Ach! I don't remember if I used 'n' or 'N' now. Another age-related failing: no short-term memory. I did .channel again and see MyUser has his Handle now. Thanks!
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Very simply put, a hostmask is a mask that should cover your nick!ident@host identity on irc.

Say I'd have NML_375!nml@somehost.com as my irc identity, I could use a hostmask such as "*!nml@somehost.com", "NML_375!nml@*.com", or similar. * will match 0 or more characters, and acts as wildcards. This allows me to have some flexibility when creating hostmasks, ie to allow me to use different nicknames, connect from multiple computers/locations, and so on.

Checking further into the code of that script, it seems you also need to set the 8ball-lang channelsetting to either "english" or "german". Use the .chanset command for this aswell (.chanset #yourchan 8ball-lang english)
NML_375
a
acrodave
Voice

Post by acrodave »

Thanks for the explanation of the hostmask. I think I'm OK for now, but I will fiddle with it a bit later. I have much to learn.

Setting the language worked! I had seen that in the TCL but didn't understand. I think I see how it works now. The script has access to the channel variables directly. Everything is working. Thanks very much!